Is csrss.exe a safe process ?

When I start my computer and I check processes with task manager I see a csrss process running that has no information, it does not allow yoi to see any property or file location. If I change to showw processes from all users ( I have two), then I get two csrss processes and they do allow you to see properties and they say they are from Microsoft. I also found a csrss in my registry. Do I have a virus with this name and how do I get rid of it?. Security Essentials does not find it.

[Original title: csrss.exe]

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2018 Views 133,699 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Mario,

csrss.exe - You cannot end this process from Task Manager.

• This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (with Win32.sys being the kernel-mode portion). Csrss stands forclient/server run-time subsystem and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

It's not in startup because if it were then people might actually turn it off and that would be very bad.

If you have more than one running in task manager for any/each user, [moderator note: it is normal to show 2 processes when you select to Show Processes from All Users. The problem occurs if you are looking only at processes for the logged on user and the option to show for All is not selected.] there's a good chance you may be infected. If so, post back and we'll discuss how to deal with that. Otherwise it's not only normal but required.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

228 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

119 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.