Question

Q: Can't remove Trojan:DOS/Alureon.J

Split from this thread.

Hi, I know this is an old issue BUT the Trojan:DOS/Alureon.J just showed itself on one of my computers.  

That PC runs MSE which keeps finding the Trojan and quarantining it but then moments later or on the next reboot it finds it again and quarantines it again.

I cannot remove it from MSE.

I have run TDSS, Combofix, JunkwareRemovalTool (JRT), MS Malicious Software Removal tool, AdwCleaner, HitManPro, Malwarebytes (MBAM) and searched the registry for any related entries in a manual attempt to delete files related to it - nothing found.

Scans performed in normal and Safe Mode, As Administrator all to no good outcome. 

I am currently re-running the MS Mal. S/W removal FULL SCAN in Admin. mode but that will likely take hours.

MSE is the only product that even identifies it but it does not remove it!  Possibly it has evolved from 2013 and now defeats MSE as well.

If you are willing to re-address this I would appreciate suggestions other than reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

Thank you for the time spent.

Larry

Answer

A:

Hi all,

I was able to find what I hope was a resolution (at least from the MMPC), it matched what those of us who understood expected, and in a horribly ironic twist, from notification they were investigating until the "fix" was available - after all this - took 31 minutes. I still don't have good 24/7 contacts, but maybe at least this immediate crisis is over.

https://twitter.com/KoshVorlon/status/521932556737187840

Based on this, it is safe to follow and trust the response from IaanW.  Still, please post back confirmations so we'll know for certain.

Thanks!

Kosh

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

First of all, apologies for not replying to this thread sooner.

If anyone is still seeing this detection, please manually update to the latest definitions (currently 1.185.3263.0).

To check your current definitions:

1. Open your security software. For MSE, right-click the icon in your taskbar and click Open. For Defender go to the Start screen and type Defender and press enter.
  2. Go to the Update tab.

Note: Clicking the Update button in your security software may not bring you the most recent definitions. The Update button will retrieve the latest set from Windows Update, which may be a few hours behind directly getting it from our website.

To manually update your definitions:

1. Scroll down to the table on this page http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx
  2. Click on the link (32-bit or 64-bit) that is appropriate for your PC and security software, and save the file to the desktop.
  3. Run the file from your desktop. You may not notice any changes or prompts, but the definitions should be updated.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,482 Last updated: May 16, 2018 Applies to: