Can I manually quarantine a file/folder?? and/or Can I tell MSE to quarantine a specific file/folder?

I have spent all day running scans from my trifecta (MSE, Malwarebytes, CCleaner) and while I have found and removed a total of 13 "threats", restart in Normal Mode continually showed the virus was still there. Long story short I found the culprit. SO how can I now quarantine it or ensure that it is deleted completely?

**MSE did recognize the "application" version of the virus mind you, and removed it, however the virus package (?) included a Registry Key "HKCU: RunOnce: cLmIeEkHnOi09001", a folder by the same name, .exe and .pf. I have disabled the key, but am nervous to just send the items to the Recycle bin.**
Answer
Answer

You can't manually "quarantine" a folder or file. If MSE detects malware and deals with it, but it returns after a restart, then it wasn't fully removed.

Start here - https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/

and select the link that says - I think my computer is infected - and then select the support option for phone, chat or email (options will vary by Region)

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for free help  from Microsoft for virus and spyware infections.

-steve

^_^

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Since you have CCleaner send the folder and it's contents to the recycle bin and in CCleaner go to Options>Settings and place a checkmark in the box next to Add "Run CCleaner" option to Recycle Bin context menu. Then click the button next to Secure file deletion(Slower) and select Gutmann(35 passes) Then right click on Recycle Bin and select "Run CCleaner". This may take some time depending on the size of the files to be deleted. reset CCleaner. If the files refuse to be deleted try changing the names and/or attempt to delete in Safe Mode. This will of course remove, not quarantine the files.

CCleaner released version 3.05.1408 today but no "Slim" version is presently available so if using the standard version note that the Google Chrome Browser or Toolbar is automatically checked for install. You do not require this to use CCleaner so make sure to uncheck the box during update. If using the Portable version it's not a concern.

You could also use FileASSASSIN in MBAM(More Tools) to delete if the files appear locked. The HKCU Run Once could have been dealt with using Hijack This.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php

CET, MCC 2011

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2020 Views 9,359 Applies to: