Windows Script Host error popping up, Can not find script file "C:/Users/Public/Libraries/Checks.vbs".

Hello so yesterday i randomly turned on avast antivirus to do a clean check on my pc. 10 Minutes later i got a windows script host error saying, Can not find script file "C:/Users/Public/Libraries/Checks.vbs". Since then it has been popping up every 2 minutes and did research on how to fix it but nothing is working. I tried to turn of avast, go into regedit and clean stuff in there that might have to do with it, etc. Please help me as soon as possible on how to disable it or how to fix it!

Kind Regards, 

Bastiaan

Answer
Answer
Hi bastiaanbijen, that is the remnants of malware that has been removed from your system by Defender or your chosen Anti-virus package

You should run a scan with the free version of MalwareBytes to see if it can remove this errror message . . .

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If that does not remove this annoyance, here is a way to stop the popup

Open File Explorer

Go to C:/Users/Public/Libraries/

On the View Ribbon make sure you can see file name extensions

Create a new text file and add this text to that file:

WScript.Quit

Save that text file, then rename it to (change the txt files extension to vbs):

Checks.vbs

That's it, restart your PC and that annoyance will be gone . . .
Standard Disclaimer This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

75 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2021 Views 29,055 Applies to: