When i tried to check for protection updates in windows defender i got this message: contact IT Helpdesk

When i tried to check for protection updates in windows defender i got this message:

Page not available

Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more information.

How do i do that and what does it mean? I can't check for protection updates!

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Try a Fresh Start in Windows Defender Security Center:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fresh-start-rein...

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi 4850Kurt,

Your problem can be caused by the presence of a third party antivirus.

Windows Defender can work in concert with other security programs, but only if it is

placed into passive mode, by setting the WD Periodic Scanning button to "ON". The button

is located on the WD "Virus & Threat Protection" screen, only when third party is installed.

Since W10 v1803 was released, some PCs apparently have Periodic Scanning buttons

that are not effective. That may have carried over into W10 v1809.

Please see the following link for an example of this problem. Disregard the "answer"

to the post. That was supplied by someone else, after Andrew had resolved his problem.

See Andrews post on Aug 22. And be aware, he had his Periodic Scanning button set to

"ON" for the entire thread.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-is-scan-with-windows-defender-blocked-by-it-on/33f9ab1b-673d-4eb9-8119-ce0d92a2cd83

If you have a third party antivirus installed, it could be your problem. If a third party anti

virus has been uninstalled, without using its "removal" tool, that may also be your problem.

Regards,  Glen

·

Sorry this didn't help.

what do I do now I cannot download my malware killer so I must be infected I have just installed a new hard drive last night as well

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Do not click that link if you do not want to be plastered with useless ads for something that tells you to reinstall windows 10...

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2020 Views 1,213 Applies to: