REMPL has appeared in my Program Files. I understand it is Virus.

REMPL has suddenly appeared in my Program Files, dated 2.2.2019 @ 1:46 PM.  I searched and file that this is a Virus.  What can I do to remove this and the underlying files?  There are several associations that I have found and possibly more.  

Does anyone else have this issue?

Can this be removed/corrected?  

Would restoring my computer to is Original (out of the box) settings be an option.

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2019 Views 24,646 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

No, you misunderstand that some people who post on the Internet aren't necessarily correct.

Rempl is a folder that typically contains the Remsh.exe executable, which is a special Windows update that includes reliability improvements to Windows Update Service components in older versions of Windows 10.

Update to Windows 10, versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, and 1803 for update reliability - Windows Help

The reason this folder and files exists on only a few Windows 10 systems is that it's an automated troubleshooting tool that's deployed only on those PCs which report issues updating to the most recent version of Windows 10.  When this occurs, this special package is automatically downloaded by Windows 10 in order to try and determine the reason(s) for the failure and then attempt to remediate them.

The section following lists some of the items this update may do in the attempt to fix the operation of the current update (1809 in your case) which has so far failed to install.

Rob

Notes about this update

• This update may request your device to stay awake longer to enable installation of updates.

• Note The installation will respect any user-configured sleep configurations and also your "active hours" when you use your device the most.

• This update may try to reset network settings if problems are detected, and it will clean up registry keys that may be preventing updates from being installed successfully.
  • This update may repair disabled or corrupted Windows operating system components that determine the applicability of updates to your version of Windows 10.
  • This update may compress files in your user profile directory to help free up enough disk space to install important updates.
  • This update may reset the Windows Update database to repair the problems that could prevent updates from installing successfully. Therefore, you may see that your Windows Update history was cleared.

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Kaye

You cannot believe everything you read on the Internet . . .

Is that located here - C:\Program Files\rempl and does that folder contain files like - remsh.exe . . . etc.?

If so, rest assured, that is not malware at all that is part of a reliability update pushed out by Microsoft

Are you running an old version of Windows 10:

Click your Start Button, type winver and hit Enter

On the resulting dialog, what version of Windows 10 are you running?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.