PUP keeps coming back

I use Windows 7 on my Dell computer. For the last couple of days my Malware Anti-malware scan has found objects infected with PUP.optional. I've rebooted the computer to remove them, have done it from the safe mode with networking too, but on the next scan, the PUPs are found again, usually at around or just over 500. Whenever I've dealt with viruses or malware in the past, removing/rebooting after the scan has fixed the problem. I've never dealt with something that just immediately keeps coming back. Without copying the entire results of the scan, this is the basics that the latest one gave me:

Memory processes detected: 0

Memory modules detected: 0

Registry keys detected: 11

Registry values detected: 3

Registry data items detected: 0

Folders detected: 31

Files detected: 452

Please keep in mind that I'm not tech savvy at all, so if you can help, please be thorough in your explanation.

|
Answer
Answer
The adware is still on your computer.

Check Control Panel for toolbars/programs that you did not know were recently installed.  Remove them but be sure the programs are "new" and are not something you need on your computer

Check your browsers for add-ons that need to be removed.

Any evidence of a specific adware issue?  SearchConduit, Delta, etc?

AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer.  By using AdwCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.

The types of programs that AdwCleaner targets are typically bundled with free programs that you download from the web.  In many cases when you download and install a program, the install will state that these programs will be installed along with the program you downloaded.  Unless you perform a Custom install, these unwanted programs will automatically be installed on your computer leaving you with extra browser toolbars, adware, and other unwanted programs.  AdwCleaner is designed to search for and remove these types of programs.

I used AdwCleaner yesterday to remove adware and pups after several unwanted toolbars were placed on a Vista laptop.  Did a good job.  

What about your installed antimalware program?  Is it finding anything?

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2020 Views 22,444 Applies to: