Pop up message saying to call Microsoft Technical support for immediate help:

Has anyone seen a pop up message saying the following: 

Windows detected suspicious activity on your Computer.

Please contact Microsoft Technical support for immediate help:

+removed(toll free).

Your Computer ID:  and has a 5 digit number

Please contact Technical support to resolve this issue.

DO NOT open any additional internet browser to avoid data corruption on the registry of your operating system.  Please contact Microsoft Support at

Toll-free Helpline removed

DO NOT SHUT DOWN OR RESTART THE COMPUTER.  DOING SO MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND POSSIBLE FAILURE OF 

Then it has an OK button to click. 

The above part of the message has a white background and it is front of a screen with a blue background.  The part of the background message I can read references more than one error codes; but the complete message has the white pop up message in front. So I'm not able to read all of it.  Close to the beginning of the message on the blue screen says Windows Defender Error Code: 0x ....then I can't read the remaining numbers as they are behind the white screen.

I haven't shut down my computer, but I ran task manager and ended the task.  I'm now signed into the Firefox browser on my PC.  I'm afraid to sign back into Internet Explorer.  Help.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2019 Views 11,629 Applies to:
MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What you’re describing is most likely just a generic Tech Support Scam page. These malicious webpages don’t actually download any file-based malware – they just lock up your browser with an onboard script that reloads the fake alert dialog every time you click on the OK button in order to close it. Since the alert dialog is application modal, looping it like this prevents the browser from ever receiving focus, and you’re effectively locked out.

So if you just end the browser process with Task Manager, and then go directly to your home page when you restart Internet Explorer, the page won’t be reloaded, and neither will the malicious script – and you shouldn’t have any more problems with it.

GreginMich

45 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Deleting Edge with Task Manager, followed by reloading Edge didn't help.  The bad guy was loaded in my second tab of Edge, and it was still there when I re-loaded Edge.  It was still there when I re-booted and brought up Edge.  I had to back out the latest Windows 10 updates (the biggie available yesterday, 8/2/2016).  Then when I brought up Edge, the problem was gone. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Deleting Edge with Task Manager, followed by reloading Edge didn't help.  The bad guy was loaded in my second tab of Edge, and it was still there when I re-loaded Edge.  It was still there when I re-booted and brought up Edge.  I had to back out the latest Windows 10 updates (the biggie available yesterday, 8/2/2016).  Then when I brought up Edge, the problem was gone. 

BobbyeAnderson was “afraid to sign back into Internet Explorer”, so I responded accordingly. The issue is more complicated with Edge because AutoRecover makes it impossible for you to return to your home page when you restart Edge after terminating the browser process in Task Manager. But the browser-locking issue was actually patched for Edge many months ago, with Dialog Loop Protection – as described here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/system-error/dcccc74e-fb98-43a8-8579-956692a40982

GreginMich

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.