MSE stopped for Vista. Which is the recommended Free antivirus for Vista.

Since MSE ended support for Vista today, which Free Antivirus is best suitable for Vista. Do not use the computer for gaming, mostly emails and internet searches. Had tried AVAST before, but then had issues so had to uninstall it, and kept using MSE till today.

AVG has been mentioned. Would like some suggestions if there are others.

Can MSE be uninstalled in the remove programs section. Will Windows Defender also be needed to be uninstalled, if another Free Antivirus software is installed.

|

Remove MSE and Defender. Both are useless now. You don't mention what issues you had with Avast, but I have never had any. Read the following and make your choice.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Since MSE ended support for Vista today, which Free Antivirus is best suitable for Vista. Do not use the computer for gaming, mostly emails and internet searches. Had tried AVAST before, but then had issues so had to uninstall it, and kept using MSE till today.

AVG has been mentioned. Would like some suggestions if there are others.

Can MSE be uninstalled in the remove programs section. Will Windows Defender also be needed to be uninstalled, if another Free Antivirus software is installed.

I just booted up a Vista for the first time this month.

MSE Antimalware Client Version 4.10.209.0

Engine Version 1.1.13601.0

MSE just autoupdated to Virus Definition Version 1.239.1217.0 which is the most current definition available at the time of this post.  https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/whatsnew.aspx

I'm going to leave MSE installed on the computer until MS stops providing updates (that may be tomorrow or may be next year - who knows) and then I'll try Avast or AVG again.

The computer also has Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (a free program) installed.

If you want to use a different AV you should uninstall MSE (but remember you probably can't reinstall it).

The Windows Defender antispyware included on the Vista OS cannot be removed since it's part of the OS.

Not sure how many of these still support Vista so you'll need to "investigate" before installing any AV on a Vista computer: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=vista

Remember Vista is basically as insecure as XP and you should be very cautious if you opt to surf the net, check e-mail, whatever with that computer.  You're much better off to use Win 7 (still my favorite OS), Win 8.1 or Win 10.

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Bruce,

Reading all your info gave me a headache. Was not aware of the difference between AntiMalware and Antivirus systems. Previously when Avast was installed, the computer screen froze. Had to restart on Safe mode, and then uninstalled Avast. It was downloaded from its website.

My PC works fine for my needs and it is a shame I have to get a new one, just because Vista is no longer secure. Will do some more reading and decide which antivirus and malware to install. Cheers.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Le Boule, for your reply. As mentioned in my previous reply, my head was spinning on the info given. It was informative no doubt and to make a decision is not easy. Now that I know the difference between Antivirus and Malware, will do some more search and decide what needs to be downloaded. 

I am not sure what you meant that MSE updated itself for Vista. My MSE was always kept updated till today. The Blue Icon now shows Red with a cross. So I assume my PC will not be protected.

Will keep reading and decide what I need to do next.   Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Le Boule, for your reply. As mentioned in my previous reply, my head was spinning on the info given. It was informative no doubt and to make a decision is not easy. Now that I know the difference between Antivirus and Malware, will do some more search and decide what needs to be downloaded. 

I am not sure what you meant that MSE updated itself for Vista. My MSE was always kept updated till today. The Blue Icon now shows Red with a cross. So I assume my PC will not be protected.

Will keep reading and decide what I need to do next.   Cheers.

Looks like MS is handling this end of support “issue” differently than when support was shut off for MSE users on XP (updates were available for about a year as I recall).

I booted up the same Vista today and instead of an amber icon with a popup warning about the pending demise of support for the OS I am also seeing a red icon with a cross as you described.  The MSE program will not open so manually updating is not an option.  

I downloaded the Eicar Test File to see if MSE still worked  and there was no activity by MSE - not even a "burp!"

Basically, MS has shut MSE off.

I’m sure a Vista user is trying to come up with a workaround so they can keep MSE but I’ve no intention of trying that and do not recommend it…MSE worked good, the price was right, etc but it’s not a “flagship” type program.

Bruce mentioned he had previously used Avast and it worked good for him and I can also recall using Avast for many years without issues.  Recommend you uninstall MSE and try Avast again or install one of the other programs listed in the links provided previously – you might even want to consider a paid product (if this is your primary computer) until you replace the computer.

And be advised WD is also turned off and there is no option to enable the program.

No, we do not work for MS....we're consumers like you. But if that Vista is your primary computer it’s time to find a new one.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Good luck...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Guys,

I uninstalled MSE and installed Avast. Seems to be working fine this time. Maybe the last time I installed Avast, I did not uninstall MSE. My bad.

Great work MC. Keep up the cheer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome. Glad it's working for you.
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
☞ Avoid a post. Backup your data. ☜

Bruce Hagen
MVP: 2004 ~ 2010
2014 ~ Present
Imperial Beach, CA

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been a bit miffed over the handling of MSE for Vista. Cutting updates is fine, but there's no reason to shut down the software. That is, unless you do in fact bear malicious intent to those who still use the OS on any given platform - it's really the worst form of marketing in order to get your end users to buy or use something else (or rather, something new...)

Personally, I've had good experience with Avira, and will install that before I set online again with my old machine.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems like it is a conspiracy to get people to buy new computers in our throw away world.   I use malware bytes, bit defender and tweaking.com to scan my computer,       

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

I have Avast , free version, running and seems to be working fine for my use, since it has been installed.

Yeah it is painful, to throw out something that can still be useful. Glad that MC was of help. All the best to the others who have similar issues. Cheers.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2020 Views 2,754 Applies to: