Microsoft Defender Windows 7

Is Microsoft Defender the best option available for free for Windows 7 at this time? I have the 32-bit Operating system.

What is any options might be a better fit?

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is not an Anti-Virus program.

The free Microsoft Security Essentials is an Anti-Virus program.

> Download Microsoft Security Essentials from Official ...

In addition you might want to read:

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection which includes

• Simple Ways To Secure Your Privacy
  • Resources to protect your browser, privacy & help prevent browser pop-up ads and scams

Is this a favorable option to going out and purchasing a virus protection program. 

Or do you know of something that is reasonably priced that works decently on these older versions?

Personally, I used Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for many many years on my two Windows 7 laptops and was always quite satisfied with it...

Some years ago though there started some problems with MSE. I started getting error-messages, and although I tried all possible ways of trouble-shooting, I could not solve the problems.

Since that time I'm using/paying for Emsisoft Anti-Malware which I would nowadays always recommend to anyone who asks.

You might have seen that that program is also mentioned in one of the articles (Choosing an Anti-Virus Program) I linked earlier.

I would not go back ever to using MSE....

In the end you have to decide for yourself which Anti-Virus program fits your needs....

Hope this helps a bit.

If you do not mind paying, I too would recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware. I explain why in Smeed's link for  Choosing an Anti-Virus Program..

If you ever switch or upgrade to Windows 10, then you can stay with Windows Defender Antivirus. I also explain why it is an excellent choice in that same topic.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2020
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators (Malware Removal Expert)

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is not an Anti-Virus program.

The free Microsoft Security Essentials is an Anti-Virus program.

> Download Microsoft Security Essentials from Official ...

Great clear answer! but why does MS keep 2 similar security products? only for confusing customers? why doesn't MS merger defender and MSE and discontinue defender?

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is meant to provide some basic protection until an Anti-Virus program is installed.

IMO it's a good idea to give the user the free choice which Anti-Virus program he/she wants to install...

I doubt that Microsoft will put any more thought into anything concerning Windows 7.

===

In Windows 8/10 Microsoft changed the Windows Defender model. Windows Defender in those later Windows versions is indeed a full Anti-Virus product.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 25, 2020 Views 16,120 Applies to: