I can't open Windows Defender due to Error 0x800705b4.

Today I tried to  Stop a program from running at startup and got:

When I click the link I got:

I followed the instructions the video: 

How to Fix Windows Stop Error 0x800705b4

I went to Services > Properties > Startup type. In the drop-down menu Automatic was already the selected option and not Automatic (Delayed Start). I then clicked Start and got:

[Moved from Windows]

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 334 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Unfortunately you never answered my question which Anti-Virus program you're using...

a) In case you are using an Anti-Virus program and it allows you to enable Windows Defender there is something badly wrong with your Anti-Virus program.

b) In case you don't use any Anti-Virus program you might be interested to read the below copy/paste (from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316638):

Why should you use Antivirus software?

Among the ~800 pages of new threat intelligence is a new study that attempts to quantify the benefit of running up-to-date anti-virus (AV) software. The study leveraged data from over a billion systems worldwide and it turns out that systems that do not have up-to-date AV are 5.5 times more likely to be infected with malware than systems that are protected...
Anti-virus Software is Dead…Really?

Using unprotected computers on the Internet is a security risk to everyone as they are prone to attack from hackers, Botnets, zombie computers and malware infection. Using anti-virus software will help minimize the risk and help to prevent the computer from being used to pass on infections to other machines. When infected and compromised, malware spreads faster and more extensively, distributed denial-of-service attacks are easier to launch, spammers have more platforms from which to send e-mail and more zombies are created to perpetuate the cycle.

How do folks who claim they do not use an anti-virus and never get infected know for certain that their computer is malware free? Many of today's attackers employ advanced techniques which involve sophisticated Botnets, Backdoor Trojans and rootkits to hide their presence on a computer. Without proper security tools including an anti-virus which can detect such malware, you can never be absolutely sure your computer has not been infected.

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If you are using Avast and some other AVs in Vista, it does not require you to turn off Defender to install it and Defender is not automatically disabled.

But, when a client has an Antivirus installed that runs alongside Defender, I always advise them to manually disable Defender and use the alternative methods for altering Startup options that I gave you, as Defender offers real time protection and can cause conflicts with other real time protection Security Programs, which AVs are..

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - June 2020

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.