Hotmail/outlook storage limit issues

Hi. 

I've received the following email from the Windows Live team: 

"IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED Dear Customer, Your Windows Live Hotmail® account has been growing really fast. If it continues to grow at this rate, you will not be able to receive messages in the future. Here are a few suggestions to help you manage your account..." 

Why is this happening? I was under the impression that Hotmail/outlook accounts haven't got a storage limit any longer. I'm using this account to backup my gmail account amongst other things so this is very important for me.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 2,701 Applies to:

Hi ek111,

The free Hotmail or Outlook.com accounts has a storage limit of 5GB. For paid account, 10GB. If ever you already reached or you are almost reaching the storage limit you will be notified like the message you received from Microsoft. The ever growing mailbox space in Outlook is not sudden; it will grow as long as you use it.

I would suggest that you delete unimportant emails to your mailbox to have a larger storage for your important emails.

Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Judith,

I thought Outlook.com had free unlimited storage:

Virtually unlimited storage (free)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook-compare

Is this still true?

MVP, MCT, MCSD, MCPD

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martin Kulov,

As what the previous Moderator said, the free Hotmail or Outlook.com accounts has a storage limit of 5GB and for paid account, 10GB. However the virtually unlimited storage that Outlook.com or Hotmail have depends on the reputation of the account. New accounts have certain limitations compared to an older account which is a temporary restriction and is upgraded to the maximum recipients limit as soon as the user establishes credibility in the system.

To increase account reputation, we suggest that you build your reputation by not sending junk e-mail, to increase the number of recipients that you can send messages to and refrain from sending spam messages. 

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JR,

I believe that I have good account reputation based on the fact that I am not sending junk email and I am a daily user of outlook.com.

Do I have unlimited storage space now?

How can I check this by myself?

Thank you,

Martin

MVP, MCT, MCSD, MCPD

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Martin,

Storage space in Outlook.com increases based on the account reputation. Even if the account is used daily, we cannot guarantee that the account will have unlimited storage space, but that it's storage space grows as it is continually used.

With regards to checking the storage space of your own, we apologize but Outlook.com currently don't have this feature. You can share your  feedback to improve our service at the link below.

Talk to us

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about the look and features of Outlook.com.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

Is there any way to find out what the current limit is on your account? I'm busy POPing all my mail  (6.2 GB) from my Gmail account to my Outlook.com account with a view on making Outlook.com my primary account and I just received that warning. I need to know what my limit is because if I won't be able to get all my mail on Outlook.com and I have to go back to Gmail on occasion to check old mail, then I would obviously prefer to stay on Gmail, especially since with the 6.2 GB used, Gmail is reporting only being 61% full.

Honestly as a Windows Phone user Google and especially Gmail makes you feel like not even a second class citizen, so I would really prefer to stick with Outlook.com.

Glib

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Glib,

Sorry for the late reply. We are experiencing high volume of inquiries. By the way, let me help you in viewing the available storage space of your account. You can check the available storage of your Microsoft account via SkyDrive. Here's how:

1. Go to www.oulook.com and sign in with your Microsoft account

2. Click Outlook button located at the upper left corner of your screen

3. Click SkyDrive

4. Once you're on the SkyDrive page, you will see the available storage space of your Microsoft account at the lower left portion of your screen

Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Mark M.
Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

Does that relate to my Outlook.com storage too? Because I'm on a paid plan with SkyDrive and I currently have 58 Gigs free.

Glib

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi GlibReaper,

I do apologize for the confusion. The steps that Mark_M. provided is for the SkyDrive storage but not for Outlook.com email storage.

With the current design of Outlook.com, the option to check your email storage is not yet available. You can send feature request directly to Microsoft Product team by clicking this link.

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Ahh, I see. Thanks, Eugene. I will.

Sorry this didn't help.