phishing email

I received an email from MS regarding an update of the Microsoft Services Agreement.

The email is from *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

Is it genuine?

Moved from:  Virus and Malware / Microsoft Security Essentials / Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats / Other/Unknown

|
Answer
Answer

I just got a copy of this same genuine Microsoft Services Agreement message with subject "Updates to our terms of use" a few hours ago myself.  The email address was "msa [at] communications.microsoft.com" and will be blocked by the forum software if you don't remove the "@" sign which causes the address to be suppressed to protect it.

If you're using outlook.com email and a message like this isn't put in the Junk folder, it's likely valid, since Microsoft outlook.com email would typically detect if a message appearing to use the Microsoft name and logo contained invalid information such as the address.

Also note that if you open any of the links, they all take you to pages at Microsoft.com, though you should of course check all other details first to be safe before clicking.

Here's the rest of the email message, though I've removed the links since they contain individual personally coded information:

Your Services Agreement made clearer
You’re receiving this email because we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover new Microsoft products, services and features.
The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services.
You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQ page here, including a summary of the most notable changes. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on Ma‍y 1, 20‍18. If you continue to use our products and services on or after Ma‍y 1, 20‍18, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.
If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for your child’s or teenager’s use of Microsoft products and services, including purchases.
Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

Rob

105 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2021 Views 57,481 Applies to: