Is this new Outlook.com ready or not? ON mulitple computers can't email a contact using the TO box?

Using, Windows 10

Edge.

I am a computer tech by trade FYI.

----------------------

I had read that the new Outlook.com was out of Preview.

I see we still have the BETA switch though.

I was talking up the new version to a friend and even convinced them to move over to it. To my immediate dismay, when I try to show them how to email someone.

1. I click the "new message" link
  2. type in the first letter of a persons name and it does not list everyone who's name starts with "A".
  3. I then type in the entire first name, NOTHING comes up. But it DOES exist in Contacts
  4. But then there is no way to get to contact list. I click the TO button and it says "my contacts" just below it. I click that and nothing.

I sign in and out of multiple accounts to test this. Same thing.

It even does the same thing on someone elses computer using Chrome, I was using Edge on mine.

This is basic functionality here, am I missing something? Please help. One would think that when I type in the first letter of a persons name EVERYONE with that letter would appear and it would allow me to keep typing to finally narrow it down. 

Whats up? See photo below, I click "my contacts" AFTER clicking "TO" in an attempt to bring up the list;  and nothing happens!

Even the dumbed down mail app gets this right, very confused and a bad start to what's supposed to be an easy transition for my friend, REALLY bad first impression.

JF

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Jimmy,

You may encounter issues in emailing a contact due to temporary server or browser issues. As things may have changed since the last time you posted, may we know if you're still encountering the same concern?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it still happens and it happens across multiple computers and accounts.

I will create a video and post it here later today.

JF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, on every computer and every account I see this is what happens.

I also have MANY customers that are experiencing the same behavior, although some ARE able to simply type in a name and have the entire list appear without the need to click on TO:.

Every email system has the ability to click the TO: button. The old WinLIveMail, todays Gmail, Yahoo, the Window Mail App, ALL of them, except the new Outlook.com. This cannot be by design, it cannot.

This video will first show the old Outlook.com and how it works, and then the new one.

IS THIS BY DESIGN? I find that almost impossible to believe.

Lets say it is by design, then my problem remains, that when I start typing a name, not all of my names appear as an option. I am missing many names in the list that pops up, even thought they ARE in the address book.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak532UQVjdvrpP4e7rCmcpQsC9Er3A

Thanks for diving in. Something is wrong in Outlook land. Thanks.

JF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your efforts and interest in trying to investigate the unusual behavior in Outlook.com. As this keeps on occurring through multiple devices and accounts, we advise that you share it to our developers. Our engineers are constantly collating suggestions that will help improve your Windows experience. It would be best if you personally share your feedback and concepts to our Outlook team. You can do that using this link: Outlook.com Uservoice.

Feel free to write again should you have additional questions.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply however you did not let me know if the behavior I am experiencing is unusual or not?

Am I supposed to be able to click the TO: button and have my address book pop up or not?

Also, am I able to speak directly with Microsoft Help in this forum or is there another forum where I can actually speak with someone that can get something done? I have posted many times in these forums before and am not used to not getting an answer. This is not a Uservoice or suggestion box issue. It is malfunction.

I will call them this time, but I find this entire fact finding mission to be strange, where are the MVP's?

JF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You contact Support via the ? menu when logged into Outlook.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is amusing. Color me jaded, but I have been in these forums and using Microsoft Products for over 30 yrs.

So when you told me to go to the "?" mark to find a solution I laughed first, and then came up with what I expected.

Sad to say this is pretty typical from the current help sections of many Microsoft offerings.

This is AI in action I wonder?

Microsoft doesn't take any of this stuff seriously. And its sad. For example you go the Mail App in Windows 10 and click help there, and it goes to a website with absolutely no search box to try to get an answer. Sad state of affairs for consumers these days.

This is not UserVoice or Suggestion box issues, this is just bad PR.

JF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's where the support is. Yes, Microsoft is using more AI for their help, but what do you expect with a consumer quality "free" service? If you want dedicated support upgrade to Office 365 Business. Then you can talk to someone directly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that really astonishes me, is that over 400 million folks are about to be switched over to the "new" Outlook.com; and on every single screen I have seen so far, and that is many many many; one can still not click the TO: button to bring up the address book.

This is how it worked before, and this is how it works on every single other email platform.

I am going to be inundated with calls from people on this very issue pretty soon, they are already starting. I am trying to get an answer on this issue not just for me but for everyone that follows.

I don't need to do a back and forth with yourself on this issue, although I appreciate your efforts, I am better off waiting for someone else at this juncture.

JF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just found this at a beta page.... (for anyone else looking for this KNOWN ISSUE)....

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-reply-to-or-forward-email-messages-in-outlook-com-5a240eb5-8840-4146-b5e8-b078dce6e5e4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I am unclear as to how the "new" Outlook.com can be ready for primetime, if this is still a known issue. Seems to me this type of thing should be fixed before declaring the new Outlook.com ready.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2018 Views 91 Applies to: