Outlook.com Premium Pilot - Setup DNS A record or transfer my domain away from GoDaddy so I can manage it myself

Here's my problem:

When I signed up for the Outlook.com Premium, and entered the domain name I wanted, I didn't fully appreciate that MS would register it for me, nor the limitations limitations of this.

The big limitation is that I can't manage my DNS settings for the domain.  This means that while email functionality works well, I can't point the domain to my website through an A record. 

I'm hopeful there's either a domain control panel that lets me do this, or alternatively, that I can move the domain away so that I can control the nameserver settings to point to DNS that I can manage, to setup the A record.

I can also sit tight until the 60 day lockout period for domain transfers is up next month, as I don't see a way around that.

From the FAQ, since Microsoft doesn't renew the domain for me on GoDaddy in year two, I would assume there's some mechanism to let me start paying for it, or move it to an account within GoDaddy.com that is my own, and gives me the management options.

I was also hopeful that the email address configured as the technical contact (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) would in fact forward to my Outlook.com account or my custom domain account, but I haven't received the emails yet.  I assume this would have allowed me to kick off a domain transfer process, and authorize it this way.

I'm pretty mad at myself, as I've got business cards, designed logos, websites, all around this name, and if I (effectively) lost the domain that would be a pretty big deal for me.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2019 Views 930 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Feature is not available. The team knows people really want this and I expect it
is on their radar. No guarantees.

>>The big limitation is that I can't manage my DNS settings for the domain.  This means that while email functionality works well, I can't point the domain to my website through an A record. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barb
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

When I signed up for the Outlook.com Premium, and entered the domain name I

> wanted, I didn't fully appreciate that MS would register it for me, nor the limitations

> limitations of this.

I understand the proposed cost of an Outlook.com Premium account will be $3.99 per month. That's pretty pricey compared to some other registrars. I paid $3.00 for the first full year of my custom domain with 1and1.com.

The big limitation is that I can't manage my DNS settings for the domain.  This means

> that while email functionality works well, I can't point the domain to my website

> through an A record.

I received an email from one of the Outlook.com Premium team members asking for my feedback about my experience and after reading your statement here, I decided that the ability to control DNS records from a dashboard would be a good thing to include in my feedback. So that's what I sent.

Brian

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.