What has happened to my contact list in Outlook?

After much inconvenience recently when my contact list in Outlook disappeared, eventually it was fixed (or so I thought), I now find that only half of my contact list is showing up to 'M' contact addresses only.  Is anyone else having this trouble and if so, do you know if repairs to this fault are in the pipeline.  This seemed to occur after a recent update from microsoft.

Hi,

We need to gather some information for us to better understand your contact list concern. Kindly answer the following:

• How do you access your emails and contacts? Are you using the Outlook.com webmail or Microsoft Office Outlook? If you're using Microsoft Office Outlook, do you have the 2016, 2013, or 2010 version.
  • If you're using the Office Outlook app and if you're using a Microsoft email account, have you checked if you can all of your contacts when accessing your emails through Outlook.com?
  • Have you checked the Deleted Items folder to see if your contacts are there? If not, we suggest that you do so. If you see your contacts in the Deleted Items folder, you can recover them by following the steps here. The link contains the steps on how to recover deleted contacts on different versions of Outlook.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

July 17, 2018:

So, I noted the same condition generally described above.  With last update for Windows 10, and am using MS Outlook 2013 version.  My Contact List now appears empty when I open it, however the names and Contacts appear in my "To:" field for auto-prompts -- so, I know that the actual list is residing somewhere, but just not visible in Address Book!   (Sheesh).  Am using MS email account only.   And, no other folder has my list, all appear "empty".  

Final note: when I "Add" another contact to Address Book, i.e. "New Entry", that does now appear in Address Book, but all other previous entries "invisible"/ not seen in Address Book.  Any help/ insight or remedy to fix would be appreciated.  Or, if simply a coding error that will be fixed in next update, that would be good to know as well.  Thank you.    

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Argel

I have a similar problem - I purchased a new Windows 10 computer and reinstalled my MS Office 2010 software, opened up MS Outlook and recreated my email accounts (IMAP type), which worked perfectly.

However, I expected to see all my contacts I previously had on my old computer, but I have none! Before shedding my old computer, I made a back up copy of all my user data, including the Outlook Data File (pst). Are my Contacts stored in that file somewhere, or not, and how do I recover them to my new computer?

Hope you can help me.

��

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

have same problem like a tens people, I lost my contacts list from MSN email.what I can do to come back for my old email account??? I need all my contacts, I have over 15 years same email address and in ne technology I can't find my friends email address.. I need really help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, my contacts only show from 'n' down

I tried to get outlook support to help me. we went back and forth for over a month.

all I ever good from them was that there was an update forth coming.

After all this nothing ever happened, they quit me and as much as said, "try again"

Really lousy support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar problem. I am using Office 365 installed on a PC and sync to an Android phone with the Outlook app. 

The Outlook mobile app has been plagued with contact sync issues so occasionally I need to reset my contacts on the mobile app and did so a few days ago and all of my 840 contacts have disappeared from all my devices including Outlook.com on the web via a browser. What I have been left with is about 100 contacts that have a name but otherwise are completely empty. The balance of the contacts are listed as "Name isn't available" and are completely empty!

The app support team tried to help without success and explained that if the contacts are not online there is nothing further they could do. All I did was do a reset and my 840 contacts have disappeared...without a back up.  Is there someway Microsoft can recover these contacts?

Mail and calendar are working okay.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2020 Views 983 Applies to: