How to remove a redundant email ADDRESS from Windows 10 MAIL

Hello folks, Please READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE ANSWERING, Thank you.

I select Mail and then select NEW EMAIL. - The header opens ready to accept  the name of a contact.

As I type the FIRST 3 letters I see THE NAME OF A REDUNDANT EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN I USED YAHOO.CO.UK.

This name DOES NOT appear in the list of people I have in the Group lists ALSO as the YAHOO ACCOUNT IS now DEFUNCT and CLOSED DOWN COMPLETELY I have NO ACCESS to YAHOO to try to remove it there.

I have read up on how to remove the address by clicking on the X that is SUPPOSED to appear to the RIGHT  hand side of the said name BUT there is NO "X" to be seen

I looked at the addresses in OUTLOOK and found the said address there. 

It was suggested that I started to create an email and that the redundant email would appear

and I could then click on the x to delete it from the listings.

I succeeded in doing this and then discarded the email.

When I repeated the operation the email address had indeed disappeared, however,

when I reverted to MAIL and created a dummy email there and started typing the person's name again.

I found that the redundant email appeared there again and no matter what I attempt I cannot get rid of the unwanted email address.

The logical question now follows

HOW do I remove the said email address from Mail?

All solutions welcomed

Thanks

Kind regards

Jim

Hello Jim

The reason that you're running into this is because the Win10 Mail app constructs the auto-complete cache from all emails in the mailbox whereas am going to guess that the instructions you've found regarding the "X" etc relates to another email client.

The answer to your question: you need to remove any and all emails that may contain the email address you want to remove which means in "every" email folder that a message may be contained in. Not saying this is the easiest approach ever devised but it is what it is.

Note: This is a user-to-user support forum. Don't work for Microsoft and have no input to Microsoft policies and procedures. Can only provide the information applicable to the question/issue posed.
Karl

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jim

The reason that you're running into this is because the Win10 Mail app constructs the auto-complete cache from all emails in the mailbox whereas am going to guess that the instructions you've found regarding the "X" etc relates to another email client.

The answer to your question: you need to remove any and all emails that may contain the email address you want to remove which means in "every" email folder that a message may be contained in. Not saying this is the easiest approach ever devised but it is what it is.

Note: This is a user-to-user support forum. Don't work for Microsoft and have no input to Microsoft policies and procedures. Can only provide the information applicable to the question/issue posed.

Karl.

Thanks for the reply, but I did say that I had NO ACCESS to the YAHOO account.

I can see no possible solution to my problem following your suggestion due to the above comment as to removing the emails.

Please advise if there is a way of accessing  the cache and once that is done perhaps by deleting that cache from time to time that will be the route to follow.

Thanks

Kind regards

Jim

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me stress something about the WIn10 Mail auto-complete account which is that it has nothing to do with what email accounts you have "access" to but rather the emails that are sitting in your mailbox which may contain whatever address(es) you're trying to remove.

You either have to find those email messages and delete them or reset your mailbox completely.

The following thread describes the steps involved with resetting things to clear the auto-complete cache but be forewarned, it's not a simply one or two step process
See the answer by JWN_NA

Remove Addresses From the Auto-Complete List Windows 10 mail app
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

As mentioned originally, am just a user like you providing you with the information requested. Have no input on MS design decisions.
Karl

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Karl,

Thank you for your kind and candid reply regarding the problem that happens when using Microsoft Mail as a "link" for all email arriving at any destination.

The problem as I now see it is that NO MATTER WHAT EMAIL ADDRESSES ARE INCLUDED in the email RECEIVED by the person who is supposed to receive that given email  - IF THERE ARE ADDITIONAL EMAIL ADDRESSES INCLUDED IN THE HEADER THEN MAIL WILL "GRAB" ALL OF THESE ADDRESSES AS WELL AS THE ONE INTENDED FOR THE RECIPIANT.

I have proved this as when I looked at other emails received I noticed a number of additional email addresses on the header. 

To my horror I then tried a "dummy" send to any of these "additional" addresses and found that the MAIL "system" had included them in my address book WITHOUT MY KNOWING.

This is surely a breach in security and data protection - but NOT one for this "Assembly" 

To clear ALL these out will be a really MAJOR task. and as I see it the ONLY way would be to STOP using MAIL ALTOGETHER AS A MEANS TO CO-ORDINATE MAILS BY SYNCING.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR KIND HELP. It IS appreciated.

Regards

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not entirely sure what you mean by a security breach since the WIn10 Mail app is local only - just takes all the email addresses from email rec'd to compile the auto-complete list on the local machine which doesn't sync back to anything.

Not to defend anything but the Mail app is a very basic email client - the Outlook desktop program on the other hand maintains the auto-complete cache different where you can delete individual entries.
Karl

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A company sends out an email as a "Group Header" to all the staff and is unwise to make this list as a continuous group of addresses (instead of a single to each member of staff as this method is both tedious and time consuming) and a member of the staff then forwards their copy to another party (not realizing that it contains ALL the other staff member's addresses) then that forwarded mail will be a breach of the company's security.

That is what I meant by security breach. 

Having said that it would be both the company concerned for not taking precautions as well as the staff member for their actions in forwarding the mail on when it was solely directed to them and their fellow colleagues.

Having discussed this at length now. To stop this potential "grabbing of addresses, do you know any way of preventing this (other than ceasing the use of Mail ?

Kind regards

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
do you know any way of preventing this (other than ceasing the use of Mail ?
<<

Unfortunately there's no option that prevents the app from populating its auto-complete cache - leastwise none that I know of or can find.
Karl

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 6,822 Applies to: