Cannot Delete Contacts - Unknown Contacts Appearing on Android Phone

Once the FaceBook sync was stopped - I now have a lot of contacts in my People section in outlook.com that I cannot delete or remove.

In an attempt to fix this, I have removed all other links (Google, LinkedIn, etc) by selecting remove ALL DATA from the people connection area of outlook.com.  All of these people as well as the Google, Sype, LinkedIn, old FaceBook are all still there and I cannot make them go away.  How do I remove all linked data that has a broken link?

I have also noticed that my Android Phone how shows hundreds of "Unknown name" contacts that I have spent time deleting to only have them return a week later.  I believe they are all related to these bad links in my contact list.

Is there a way to just blow up my contact list and reset it?  This is getting frustrating.

Hi,

To delete the contacts on your Microsoft account, follow the steps below:

1. Login to Outlook.com.
  2. Go to People and select all the contacts stored on your email by pressing CTRL+A.
  3. Click Delete.

Once done, sync your Microsoft Account on your Android Phone and check your contact list.

Let us know how it goes.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So I did this and things got better.  Then I tried to add a contact to the Outlook.com profile and within minutes the new contact was on my phone AND there was an UNKNOWN contact.   I added a total of 3 contacts and got 3 unknown contacts on my phone in addition to the correct contacts.

To solve this I have had to turn off contact syncing with my phone (kind of annoying).  It appears there is an issue with the sync between Outook.com and my phone.  I think this started when my account was "updated" by Microsoft.

Is this a known issue that you are working to correct?  I would like to use my outlook.com profile as my main personal contact directory but I am not able to until this is resolved.

I am using the phone's built in exchange sync app on my Galaxy Note 3.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you send us a screenshot of the concern through private message for better assistance? I've sent you a private message for you to reply on it.

To view you private messages, click on your profile name, select My Profile, and then click on View private messages.

Regards.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I sent a private message a few days ago with screen shots and have not heard a response to my message.  I'll summarize what the shots show you here  ...

1.  I had Contacts sync turned off on my phone.

2.  I verified that I had no contacts in my People area in Outlook.com

3.  I turned on Contacts sync

4.  Within a few minutes I had 100 "Unknown Contacts" on my phone before I turned off sync

5.  The only way to avoid having these unknown contacts is for me to manage all of my contacts through Google - if i try to do it with outlook.com 100s of "unknown contacts" appear on my phone.  I spend the time to delete them and they continue to re-appear. 

I made the move many years ago to having outlook.com as my main eMail and contact management system.  At this point I can't use the People feature on my mobile devices until this is corrected. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For real_____^

I wanted my droid and laptop to use my MS Office account . so that's one reason I have it set to Sync

Just now I sent 2 pics I took on my droid to my laptop at home email address and my phone sent me a TX MSG….Back to me along with multiple people copied on it the pictures I just sent myself .thank god it’s nothing personal I don’t trust your system now. They look like people I may or may not have sent an email to at one point in my life from outlook / Live, linkedin and google. I want to unsync EVERYTHING!

It all started wen I had to restore contacts to my phone or when I added google or Linkedin to sync.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 2,875 Applies to: