I have had my hotmail account since mid 1990's. I am using desktop browser (I have tried them all latest version the result does not change).
I am using
https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/people and there are contact entries that have this problem described below:
Steps to reproduce issue:
- Choose an email from someone who is NOT in your people list
- Open email
- Hover over email address
- Click the "..." menu
- Select "add to contacts" and create new contact
- Goto https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/people and edit entry
- Personal mail field I want to change is greyed out and CANNOT be edited - THIS IS THE PROBLEM
- If you try to add email in field above it also labelled "personal" and you end up with 2 emails (see pic)
Some of the question asked by support tech on this site:
- Do you get any error message when you try to edit the contact details?
- How exactly are you trying to access your contacts? Is it through People app (Desktop) or through a web based interface?
- Are the contact that you are trying to edit linked to any social account?
A: No - what would indicate a link what social account are your referring to??
- Is the issue specific to a particular contact?
A: As far as I can tell most contacts are ok there is no easy way to confirm exactly how many are broken I guest at least 20+ entries
All the changes you have made overs last 23 years something has stuffed up certain contacts are you not aware of the problem?
Why have you not repaired the contacts surely there must be a way to identify these contacts that are ****ed up?
Deleting every entry and recreating them is not an acceptable solution can't you fix this globally once and for all. I have seen this issue reported many times (eg. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/opeople-ocontacts/cant-edit-contact-details-in-outlook-live/d3d33279-164f-4fc2-8868-365cf6c16b0b)
Has this been reported as an OFFICIAL BUG yet?
The attached 5 images show you how to recreate issue and what problem looks like (if preview images are not correct use imgur links there were problems composing this message - another bug)
pic 2 creating problem:
pic 3 - field greyed out: