Outlook (Microsoft) wants a mobile phone number for verification purposes -- does this mean "Don't come here if you don't use a cell phone?"

I have not run into a case where the sole verification option offered (or at least mentioned) required one to provide a mobile phone number.

Is that really the case here?

In other words, does use of outlook.com email require one to own a cell phone -- even though that has nothing to do with sending or receiving email?

I am apparently being asked for this verification-by-mobile phone because I've attempted to send an email to eleven persons and that exceeds some unspecified limit for new users.  Does Microsoft find it surprising that new users would have a contacts 'list' of eleven people?

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2018 Views 145 Applies to:
How long have you had the account?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

How long have you had the account?

Only a few days.  However, all I had attempted to do was to send a group email to eleven people letting them know to use this new email address.

I don't mind that Microsoft might want to monitor activity of new users, but I don't understand why it would provide only (i.e., exclusively) a single remedy that requires one to have a mobile phone.  I also think it may be excessively restrictive for an email sent to eleven people -- not to 50, 100 or 500 people -- to trigger such a situation.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

New accounts are restricted to 10 emails the first few days.

The limit will increase as you use the account.

Sorry this didn't help.

New accounts are restricted to 10 emails the first few days.

The limit will increase as you use the account.

Thank you but I am now past "the first few days" and not only have I continued to be prompted for validations with every email, but the limitation of 5 recipients per email has also continued to be imposed.

As such every group email I try to send (which never exceeds eleven recipients) has to be sent at least twice (three times if I want it to reach everyone).

How can I appeal this and to whom?

I left Yahoo! Mail for Outlook.com hoping for a better experience.  This is starting to seem excessive and burdensome, with no provocation of any kind having come from me or any emails I've sent.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.