Not receiving email on iMac

I have a new iMac.  I am not getting my msn emails.  I get them on my iPad and my iPhone, but not my iMac.  I get them sporadically and then not for days!! I can't get anyone at msn to help me because I have a free account.  Whatever!!!

What setting is not correct?  I have imap in my settings on my iMac.

Can someone help me.  I am really frustrated about this.

<Original Title; Lisa Henry>

Answer
Answer
 Hi Lisa,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Forums.

I understand what you are going through, let’s work together to fix this issue.

I appreciate If you could answer a few questions.

1. How did you  set up MSN account in IMAC?

2. Do you use any mail program for MSN in IMAC?

3. Which safari version are you using in IMAC?

If there is any issue with settings, you might experience this issue.

If you are using Apple mail, please follow the steps below-

Apple Mail to use our Outlook.com email address using IMAP. As you'll find out shortly, this isn't simply the case of entering your email address and password. Since Outlook.com has supported only POP, until recently, Apple Mail's automatic configuration of email accounts will default to setting up any Outlook.com email address as a POP3 account. First, it allows us to set up an account manually, allowing us to specify the new details.

Step 1
To set up Apple Mail to use Outlook.com, launch Mail and then, using the menu, select Mail > Preferences. Select the +icon to add a new account.

If you don't already have an account set up in Apple Mail, this will appear automatically.

Step 2
Mail will provide a step-by-step guide to adding a new mail account. Enter your name and then your Outlook.com email address but make sure to change the .com to .mac. The reason for this is that as soon as Mail notices you're attempting to use an Outlook.com email address, it will automatically configure it for POP access.

This is what happens if you enter your Outlook.com email address as normal.

I don't want that so I have to trick Mail into using a wrong email address
so it doesn't attempt to set it up automatically.

Once you've entered your email address in the format @outlook.mac, Mail should then attempt (and fail) to verify.

Step 3
I can now configure the Incoming Mail Server. Enter a suitable description and the IMAP serve setting for Outlook.com is: imap-mail.outlook.com

Change the User Name from outlook.mac to outlook.com.

Step 4
I can now configure the Outgoing Mail Server. Just as before, enter a descriptive account name and the mail server setting to use this time, is: smtp-mail.outlook.com

The outgoing mail server requires authentication, so make sure this option
is checked and ensure the User Name is your full Outlook.com email address and
that it is changed from outlook.mac to outlook.com.

Step 5

The final step of this process will provide an overview for all the mail settings. As Outlook.com supports secure connections, I don't need to change anything else. What I do need to change, however, is our incorrect email address that I used at the beginning. Click *Create* to finish the setup and then select *Mail > Preferences* from the menu bar.

Head to the Accounts tab and change the email address from outlook.mac to outlook.com. This will ensure that emails you send appear from the correct account and recipients can reply correctly.

Step 6
Now that I have my account set up, I'll ensure that Apple Mail uses the existing folders that Outlook.com has been using.

Apple Mail prefers to store messages such as sent and deleted items in its own default folders, but that doesn't mean I have to use them. Outlook.com already sets up these folders for us so it makes sense to use them. For example, if I use both the web interface and the Mac but don't update the settings in Apple Mail, emails sent via the web interface will be stored the Sent folder
whilst Apple Mail puts them in a folder called Sent Messages.

As soon as you've added your Outlook.com account to Apple Mail, you'll likely see the following folders: Deleted,Junk and Sent.

Select the Deleted folder first and then, using the menu, select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For… and choose the option Trash.

Repeat the process for the Junk and Sent folders. Drafts isn't required as, coincidentally,

Outlook.com and Apple Mail already use a folder of the same name.

Note:The Safari 5.0 browser is no longer a supported browser for Outlook.com.

Reference:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/email/i-cant-see-my-hotmail-emails-on-safari-50/a2648a81-3721-42a7-a8a2-980ba6de641c

Hope this information helps, please reply with the status of the issue for any further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 2,659 Applies to: