My main e-mail is an old bellsouth.net account which is user ID for Microsoft account

Research up to now has revealed following, I am aware that many linked account are being disabled in Outlook.com.

My bellsouth.net POP3 email address is used as my id for Microsoft Account, but I have a different password on Microsoft Account.

Received message when checking setting on email that the bellsouth.net address password was incorrect on link to email. Outlook.com keeps rejecting change when I try to correct and save. This problem only affects incoming mail on bellsouth.net account which is main email address.

Outlook list the bellsouth.net account as an alias but I believe it was set up as linked account. bellsouth,net account used as Microsoft Account Id say it can receive and send but as that has different password it is not retrieving my email.

When Microsoft Account was opened bellsouth.net address and yahoo,com password was used to divert mail to Microsoft Servers. This address is also what is called a legacy account address and is supported on non ATT servers unless supported by yahoo.  Is it possible with all the changes being made that Outlook is try to import that email using Microsoft Account password?  What is best way to restore service and maintain access to the bellsouth.net account using Outlook.com as email service?

Hope this is enough info

Thanks boudreau1863

Hello Donald Boudreaux,

Thank you for bringing up this issue to our attention. As what I understand you have registered your bellsouth.net as a Microsoft account and have a POP3 mail aggregation in that address, so you can send and receive emails for this account using Microsoft servers. However, when you try to sign in, you were prompted with the error message that your entered the wrong password, is this correct? If yes, I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.

For starters, the removal of the linked accounts feature should NOT affect your ability to send and receive emails from your other accounts that are configured via POP in your Microsoft account. It simply removes your capability to access your other Microsoft accounts that were linked to your primary Microsoft account without signing out.

Now, if your issue is simply signing in to the account, you may need to reset your password to regain access to it. However, if you no longer have the ability to send and receive emails for your bellsouth.net account which was added as a POP account in your Outlook.com page, there is a possibility that the authentication to pick the incoming emails of your bellsouth.net address on your mail provider’s servers has been broken. You mentioned that the changes you are making is being rejected by Outlook.com, are you performing the steps in the Add a Yahoo! Mail Plus or other POP account to Outlook.com from the link below to make the changes?

Set up your Gmail, Yahoo! Plus, or Microsoft email accounts in Outlook.com

If yes, please give us the complete error message so we can verify what's causing the issue. Your cooperation and prompt response will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2023 Views 6,331 Applies to: