Messages reported as 250 queued for delivery, but never received when we send to some hotmail.com email addresses

We send regular emails to members of sports clubs using our web service, these are all active members of a club website (all wish and need to receive emails in a timely manner) some messages are never received by members using hotmail.  We have correctly configured SPF records and DKIM, include unsubscribe headers and links in every email.  We receive a response from hotmail as 250 Queued mail for delivery, for some messages, and this is becoming an increasing issue for our mutual users.  

Unfortunately it seems these effected mails are just not delivered (judging by current checks of mails sent a week ago).  At least some other email sent to hotmail is successfully received, but we of course want to ensure reliable delivery across the board.  How can we find out why this response is given, what it actually means, and how it can be avoided in future so that we avoid upsetting our mutual users.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 48,796 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MattHoweson,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. You mentioned that you "receive a response from hotmail as 250 Queued mail for delivery." It seems like you are getting a bounce message.

For further investigation, we need you to post the complete returned error message that you received. I have created a private message area where you can post the complete returned error message. To view the private message you must be signed into Microsoft Answers. After replying to my private message, kindly notify us by replying here in the public forum.

Thanks!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

In order to protect the privacy of your personal data and provide you with the best personal support possible I created a private message.

Please make sure you are signed in to view the message.

Thank you

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've made an adjustment to your account, please signed in and let us know if the adjustment made resolves the issue.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

What adjustment have you made and to which account?  We are sending to your users and they are not receiving the emails we send despite the fact you respond with a message indicating messages re correctly queued for delivery.

This is proving really hard to get any valid help with.   We follow all best practice and only send to people who very much want to and expect to receive emails from our systems.  These are legitimate notification emails, sent from a domain validated by SPF, and DKIM, and offering users unsubscribe options.  We have received many complaints from hotmail users saying they don't receive their messages sent from us.  On investigation these are correctly sent to you, but the user does not receive them in either their spam or inbox, we are not on any known blacklists.

What else can be done when sending messages to hotmail to ensure they are delivered, and if they are not that we receive a suitable notification that they are not.  The response we receive is misleading as it informs that the message will be delivered, where we have repeated experience that it is not. 

I await your advice.  I have answered all questions promptly asking for further diagnostic information in the private messag.  I have not received any attempt at any explanation for why this happens, and what can be done to avoid it.  I'd really appreciate your assistance so we can do what is needed to support your users in receiving email.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've responded to your private message. Please signed in to view the message.

Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Matt, 

I have replied on the Private Message.  Please sign in to view it.

Thanks, 
Leah V. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you find a solution for this ? We, a hosting provider, are experiencing the same on several servers. Get the 250 notification but mail is never delivered or send back.

Sorry this didn't help.

No still not found a solution, very frustrating!  The reports from our users do seem to have reduced though so maybe something has changed.

The trouble is despite several replies, I haven't had a reply that addressed the specific issue I raised.  A familiar path with so much technical support, it's much easier to give a standard answer to a similar issue, or suggest there was a problem that is now fixed, rather than address the actual problem...   

There doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go with this issue, a certain (small I think) percentage of emails are accepted but never delivered.  In the absence of any other feedback, I can only assume it is a general problem with hotmail/outlook.com, rather than anything specific to us, as otherwise we would presumably get an error code rather than a 250 response.

Sorry this didn't help.

We don't get any answers too. This is foresure no problem at our side. Mail is simply accepted and never seen again. The sending ip is more then clean and html of text messages make no difference. SPF records are ok, everything is ok...

We have more dan 20.000 customers, some have this problem sometimes and they kind of blame us. If we do not find a solution for this soon we will write an article in our newsletter better not to use hotmail/outlook...

So please microsoft, could you be so kind to simply check a few messages what has happened to them ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MattHoweson and Weba(1),

Thank you for posting back. It is possible that the bounce message you receive is due to the receivers end. Kindly verify the validity of the recipient address and if the receiving server is configured to receive messages correctly. Also you may try to reduce the recipients on the email you are trying to send and see if issue will still persist.

Hope this helps. If you have any other issues, please let us know.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.