junk mail in inbox

For the past week, messages that were automatically sent to "junk" are no longer

being sent there-they are now littering our inbox.

How do we block all this spam/junk from ending up in our inbox?

Current recommendations for minimizing junk mail.

1. Sign in to Outlook.com.
2. In the upper-right corner of the page, click the Cog icon, and then click onMore mail settings.
3. Under Preventing junk mail, click Safe and blocked senders.
4. Under the Safe and blocked senders, click on Blocked senders.
5. In the Blocked senders list, add the name or domain (the part of an e-mail address that follows the @ sign, such as hotmail.com) that you don't want to receive mail from, and then click Add to list >>.

You can create rules to delete incoming junk mails. Here's how to:

1. In the upper-right corner of the page, click the Cog icon, and then click onMore mail settings.
2. Under Customizing Outlook, click Rules for sorting new messages.
3. Click New and then under Step 1, click the drop down arrow on the first box and chooseSender's address.
4. Under Step 1, type in on the third box the email address.
5. Under Step 2, choose Delete these messages—don't even put them in my Deleted folder.
6. Click Save at the bottom of the page.

You may also set your Junk email filter to Exclusive. If the Exclusive level was set, messages from senders not on your Contacts or Safe senders lists will be sent to the Junk folder. By default, the Junk folder will automatically delete messages after 10 days. This is more convenient as we don't have any control if senders are randomly changing their address.

Here are the steps on how to set to Exclusive:

1. In the upper-right corner of the page, click the Cog icon, and then click onMore mail settings.

2. Under Preventing junk email, click Filters and reporting.

3. Under Choose a junk email filter, select Exclusive

Text from Forum Mod RD_P

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

58 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've done everything you suggest, did the EXCLUSIVE thing, did the SAFE AND BLOCKED SENDERS thing. Even did the ACTIONS drop down DELETE ALL FROM SENDER thing. Still I get tons of these SPAM/JUNK emails in my INBOX. Have tried moving everything to JUNK, that didn't work. This has been going on, now, for over 6 months. I pay extra for this OUTLOOK.com mail service, or the size of it, something, but I pay a fee each year. Isn't there anything you can suggest that will help me? I'm a 72 y/o person and I feel unsafe. You can't imagine the kinds of emails that I'm getting. Everything from GIRLS IN RUSSIA, GIRLS IN CHINA, ENLARGEMENT, LOTTERY WINNINGS, CREDIT CARDS, and, and. Please help.

How about my deleting my present email address and starting a new one. That would be so problematic for me and all of my associates. But if its a solution tell me how to do it, please?

Thx,

BW

BW

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said in an earlier reply, many of the spam emails that I try to put on the BLOCKED list, I get a message that tells me that they are already on the list. All of the spam addresses that I copy to put on the BLOCKED list has a high-lighted notice behind it, "the sender is in your contact list." But when I check, it is not there. Please explain if you would please?

As I say, I am getting spam from email address/domains that I have BLOCKED, why? I keep getting SPAM in my INBOX even after I have checked the EXCLUSIVE box, why?

Please advise?

One last question, as I understand, friends tell me that this is not happening on GMAIL. Would it be better to move me email inbox there? I wouldn't  have to pay an annual fee?

Thank you for your attention to this request. I look forward to any reply, solution, suggestion.

BW

BW

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi BW4LYF,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community. We understand that you are consistently receiving lots of spam emails directly on your inbox instead of going first to junk folder. Also, you have mentioned that even you have set up your junk filter to Exclusive, move emails to junk folder this issue still persists. For further assistance regarding this issue, we would like to verify if the spam sender is one of your contacts. If yes, we suggest that you removed them to your contact list and then after you removed them to your contact list, kindly add them to your block sender list.

If you still encounter this issue, please provide more information stated in the private message area that I created. Make sure that you are logged / signed in to this forum to see the private message.

Note: Please click on "You have a private reply to this message" link just above your post to view the message (highlighted in red) or click on the envelope icon located right beside your profile. 

We will look forward to your response.

Thanks.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello everyone,

We appreciate your time for posting your concern here in the Microsoft Community. Please be informed that our Engineering team  has implemented a fix for the Spam/Junk emails issue. This issue should be resolved by now.

If the issue still persists, let us know immediately.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ken-Rey-C,

You seem like a nice guy, maybe you could help me out.

I have the same problem as the poster above. I have also performed the suggested fixes.

I have spoken to the Chat Support people who went in and took control of my computer

and then dropped me like a hot potato (Aries B).

You say that the engineers have solved the issue (back in 2013). I am here to tell you that the

problem still persists. If this is a hack, it should be worrisome, not only to me but to the Outlook

community in general.

Do you have any new info on this issue? Are there any other suggestions that you may have to

solve the problem? Try to imagine, if you will, how you might feel if you went to your trusted

Inbox tomorrow, the one that you rely on for all your valued communications and found it full

with 20 or 30 Junk mail ads. This happens to me at least twice a day and no one at MS Support

seems to be able to help and obviously there are many others with this same issue.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2021 Views 9,062 Applies to: