Junk Mail folder is ALWAYS empty!

My junk mail folder is always empty.  I'm pretty sure I'm losing important messages as people tell me they've sent me emails but I can't find them in any of my folders.  My junk mail settings are set to standard and I do not have any customized settings for junk mail.  My junk folder shows as empty on my phone app as well as on my laptop.

How can I start accessing my junk mail messages?  I am having a hard time trusting my Hotmail account now that I know that it's not showing me all my messages.

Thank you

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you.

1. How do you access your Outlook.com account (Web browser or email client)?
  2. Are you not able to receive emails from a particular sender?
  3. Did you make any changes in your account?

One of the possible reasons why you are encountering this problem is that there are corrupted cache/cookies/browsing history stored in your browser. As an initial troubleshooting step, we recommend that you clear your browser's cache/cookies/browsing history.

Let’s try to clear them using the following steps:

• For Internet Explorer: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Delete.

• For Google Chrome: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Clear Browsing Data.

• For Firefox: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Clear Now.
    (other browsers are similar)

You may refer to the link provided for basic troubleshooting steps for unable to receive emails:

I'm not receiving emails sent by my family or friends

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Giridhar,

I access my hotmail account from my Iphone and my laptop (Windows 8).  I cleared my browser cache and that did not resolve the problem.  My junk mail setting is set to Standard.  It is not any particular senders that I'm not receiving emails from, it is random senders.  

What is most bothersome is that my Junk mail folder is ALWAYS empty!  It's been like this for a very long time, likely more than a year.  It wasn't until I missed getting some important emails that the people then forwarded to my gmail account, that I was able to see that the emails were not getting to my hotmail account and were also not in my junk folder in Hotmail.  My husband has a hotmail account and he has some emails in his junk folder almost every day.  With a junk mail setting of Standard my junk folder should not always be empty.

I'm not sure what else to do.  Please advise.

Thank you,

Nancy

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this exact same issue. My Junk Mail folder suddenly started showing up as empty all the time (maybe for the past two weeks), when before that I would get at least 5-10 junk emails a day. When I try to access Outlook on a web browser on my laptop OR on my iPhone Mail app, the result is the same. However, for some reason if I go onto the web browser on my iPhone (NOT the Mail app) and log into Outlook, I can then see my Junk mail. I have 66 when I log in that way, but the other methods still show no junk mail.

I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to this issue? It is really annoying to have to use my phone browser and not my laptop or app, and it makes me wonder whether I might be missing mail from the inbox as well.

Thanks for your help.

114 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A year later and nothing...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

For us to isolate your concern, can you tell us more with regards to what are you experiencing?

We are looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I am having the exact same issue.

My junk mail folder is always empty and I also think I'm losing messages.
When a new sender send me an email (confirmation for an inscription on a new website for example) I usually not receive this mail.
But, if I add the sender to my "Safe senders list" and ask again for the same mail then I receive it. But it's not true with every new sender.

Sometime, if I keep asking the sender to send me again the same mail (which I never receive), I finally have an "Microsoft Spam Fighters" email (with the mail i should have received) which ask me if it's junk or not.
That why I think the first messages went to my junk mail folder and as this forlder is always empty I can't see them.

Tried :
- several computer (windows 7 and 10)
- several browser (firefox, ie 11, edge)
- clearing the cache
- clearing the full "Blocked senders" list.
- checking the email rules
- checking the junk mail settings
- disabling add-ins (outlook.live.com and browsers)

I don't know what to do more.

Regards.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup. It's just not possible that none of us are getting any spam. There absolutely should be a way for us to view it, because these things happen, as we all know.

Echo Train
Nashville TN

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have the SMS problem - I have IPhone6 when I access my mail via the envelope app icon my hotmail junk folder is always empty (gmail junk currently has 250 items in it) but if I search (using bar at the top of inbox window) the search results will display item sent that say they are in hotmail junk folder - but I can't delete any item that comes up this way. I can access junk folder from PC - it's only the IPhone that always shows it (wrongly) as being empty and I have evidence now that I have missed important communication and because of this error. Please advise.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar issue too. When I log into my Outlook email (my email is @hotmail.com) in a browser using Internet Explorer or Chrome, I can see all the junk mail that goes into my Junk Email folder. However, I recently downloaded the Outlook app to my laptop, and I have the Junk Email folder, but no emails ever show up in it. I still have to log in using a browser every day to check all my junk mail - I have a number of legit emails that get sent there that I have to move into my Inbox. 

Why does the Outlook app not display all the emails that are in my Junk Email folder?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

look at your sync settings.. see if it syncs all or only a certain date.
“I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars.”

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 49,329 Applies to: