Issue with the Missing horizontal scroll bar.

With all the recent changes to Outlook, I have lost a much needed horizontal scroll bar in the reading pane and in the message itself. How can I get it back?  Also, can I get rid of the 2 inch gap on the right of Outlook under the signin/out? I presume this is where ads appear? Thx

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

CJS

If the emails are bleeding off the screen you can adjust the zoom by using the control key + mouse scroll wheel.  If they do not you should not need (nor can you get) the scroll bar as the entire contents are on screen

As to reclaiming the ad column basically you can only do that by upgrading to the paid ad-free outlook.com.  I assume you have a pop up blocker to prevent the ads themselves.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Why are you not admitting that there is a problem with the horizontal scroll bar missing ???

There is 13 pages of this exact conversation on the "Lost Scroll Bar" post, of which no moderator has commented on since before Aug 25th.........and there are MANY other posts on this issue.  They finally admitted that there is a problem and that they are working on it, and then no response after that......over a month now.   So either you are in the dark about this issue, or you don't want to admit that there is a problem, and/or you guys decided to not fix it !

Please tell me which one it is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With all the recent changes to Outlook, I have lost a much needed horizontal scroll bar in the reading pane and in the message itself. How can I get it back?  Also, can I get rid of the 2 inch gap on the right of Outlook under the signin/out? I presume this is where ads appear? Thx

Hi,

1.The first step in any troubleshooting is to clear the browser cache/cookies.  (you need to clear ALL cookies)

*For Internet Explorer browser & MSN Butterfly: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Delete

*For Google Chrome: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Clear Browsing Data
*For Firefox: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Clear Now

2. The Advertisements are how Microsoft makes the money to keep Outlook.com free.
Unfortunately it appears we have to put up with them...unless you upgrade to Ad Free Outlook (paid) to be rid of them permanently.

Might be worth using Google or Bing to search further for Ad blockers for your particular Browser.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The ad pane remains even if you pay to be ad-free.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why are you not admitting that there is a problem with the horizontal scroll bar missing ???

There is 13 pages of this exact conversation on the "Lost Scroll Bar" post, of which no moderator has commented on since before Aug 25th.........and there are MANY other posts on this issue.  They finally admitted that there is a problem and that they are working on it, and then no response after that......over a month now.   So either you are in the dark about this issue, or you don't want to admit that there is a problem, and/or you guys decided to not fix it !

Please tell me which one it is.

LIG

13 pages out of 400 million + users is 0.000000012 %.  If it were a problem Hundreds of thousands or millions would have it.  THEY DONT.

This is a peer to peer site staffed mostly by volunteers who dont work for or have much contact with MS.  We have where ever we chose and in this case your attitude has me helping elsewhere

Good Luck

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The ad pane cannot be removed.

You can move the divider between the folder pane and message list pane to the left to make the folder pane smaller.

You can turn the reading pane off or putting it on the bottom.

You can view a message without the folder pane by clicking on the Full view icon when the message is displayed in the reading pane.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow................what a cop-out response !!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ZigZag,

How do you know there aren't hundreds of thousands, etc., of users having this problem?  The number of people effected by this problem is very significant.  There are at least 27 unique threads I'm following in this Forum that discuss this issue.  For example, my thread, " My horizontal scroll bar has disappeared! " has so far had 463 views.  The " lost scroll bar " thread has had 412 views.  I'm sure there are many more people that are effected by this issue too that don't know this Forum exists that may or may not be searching for a solution somewhere else online.

Many moderators have been able to recreate this problem.  Just today, Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]   posted a screenshot of this problem in the " lost scroll bar " thread.

Community members are specifically talking about the horizontal scroll bar inside of wide emails.  It is not functioning properly.  If you need clarification, please talk to your fellow Microsoft Forum Moderator Sergs Yves P. who posted the following in this thread on August 13,

"Hi everyone,

I just want to inform you that we are aware of this issue and our product engineering team is currently working on a fix to resolve this as soon as possible. Your patience about this issue is highly appreciated. 

Let us know if you have more questions."

You told CarrieJames-svensson above, "If the emails are bleeding off the screen you can adjust the zoom by using the control key + mouse scroll wheel.  If they do not you should not need (nor can you get) the scroll bar as the entire contents are on screen."  But zooming out on some extra-wide emails (that contain graphics, ads, etc.) can make the message so small (when it finally fits in the viewing area) it may be unreadable.

Just because you are a volunteer doesn't absolve you from trying to maintain a professional presence by possibly searching through previous Forum posts on the topic in question before you respond, instead of relying on hyperbole.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The horizontal scroll bar is there--Microsoft put it back--but it's not part of the frame, it's part of the vertical scrolling region.  If you scroll to the bottom of the message, you should see it,  An example is below.

I contacted the Outlook.com team and explained how inconvenient this is and they've acknowledged it as a bug and will look at it for a future release, although they couldn't say when it would be fixed.

Brian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yay to you Gary..............I couldn't have said it better myself !!! 

I hope he/she comes back on and replies !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2023 Views 960 Applies to: