How can I stop my account from sending spam emails?

For the past 2 days we have been receiving "undeliverable" and "failure" notices in our Hotmail/Outlook inbox for emails sent entitled "SUP", "Good Morning", "Good Evening" etc.    I immediately changed our password yesterday & have done multiple virus & Malware scans. We have Microsoft Essentials running at all times, and yet people are still receiving these SPAM messages from us. Strangely, there is no record in our "Sent" folder to show that these emails were sent from our email, as with another time we were hacked.  I changed our password again this morning, and still we are receiving notes from friends saying that they are getting these emails. 

What else can we do to stop this???? 

Original title: Email hacked/virus

Hello Shelley and Darren,

We apologize for the delayed response on your inquiry. I understand that your account has seem to send spam messages to your contacts after it has been hacked and you were able to make the necessary action but the issue persist. Let me help you with your concern.

I suggest that you visit this article for additional information and other troubleshooting steps available. If in case the issue persist, let us know so that we can make the necessary action.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We are having the same issue and when we went to the above article and followed the link and suggestions listed therein, everything was in order. There are no "reply as" or aliases or anything else that had any other email addresses and there are no messages in the sent folder.

Anything else we can do?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just because you are receiving non-delivery reports for messages that appear to have come from your address, that is no indication whatsoever that your mail account was hacked, that your account is sending the messages, or that you have malware.  Only if you were to look in your Sent folder and see the initial outgoing messages would you have proof that your account sent the messages.

It is the simplest thing in the world to spoof someone's mail address and it happens to most people at one point or another.  It is likely that the messages are being generated from a computer in a completely different part of the world.  There is nothing you can do to stop someone from spoofing your address.  It's physically impossible.  The best you can do is to create a rule or rules to deal with the bounces.

Brian

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi CherylB76,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have the same issue and you already tried the suggestions provided in the link given by Marites Ma. Let me assist you.

First off, I would like to ask when you said you followed the suggestions listed in the link provided by Marites Ma., do you mean that you already tried to install an antivirus program on your PC and change your password?

If not, we urgently advise you to check and clean your computer from viruses, then change your password and update your account credentials to prevent this from happening again.

In connection to what Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] said, if you can see that the emails are actually sent from your account, it is possible that your account has been hacked and a 3rd party is using it to send junk mail.

After scanning your account from viruses and changing your password, kindly observe if the same thing will happen and let us know the results you may have.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Pray tell, how does one scan an account for malware, particularly when the account is on the Microsoft server?
Brian

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem.  No messages in my sent box, but a ton of undeliverable "spam" message return receipts in my junk mail folder..

I have run scans, malware and virus

I have changed passwords

I have changed security questions.

This is driving me bonkers!!

Do I need to do delete this account? 

This is my business account and I desperately do not want to delete it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the non-delivery messages are in your Junk folder, why do you care?  Just ignore what's in that folder.
Brian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello TawnyEdwards,

It's understandable to feel worried about the security of the account since it's showing an odd behavior of receiving non-delivery receipts from emails you did not send. We are happy to hear that you've already made changes to the account. If you have already run a powerful anti-virus software but didn't find any indication that your computer was infected by a malware or virus, it's possible that the advice of Brian Tillman is correct. Somebody else from a different location has an infected machine which forged emails that appear to have been sent from your own account.

If you do not wish to delete the account, you just have to ensure that you regularly follow the instructions in the link provided by Marites to ensure that it's safe and secured.

If you have clarifications, feel free to post back for further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is not that the undeliverable notices show up.  The problem is that many of these junk emails sent from my legitimate email account ARE being delivered and the recipient will assume it was actually sent from my account.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There's nothing you can do to stop it. It is child's play for the spammer to use any sending address he wishes and the system doing the sending is often in another country. The best you can do with the way mail works today is to complain the the network provider if you can determine it. Not an easy thing to do.
Brian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 24,008 Applies to: