Hotmail to Outlook - connection problems

I've moved from Hotmail to the new Outlook format and, subject to a few minor issues, have found the interface very similar and easy to use. However, I now have frequent connection problems; either I cannot connect (getting the message 'cannot connect to Outlook right now' or very slow to connect/refresh...and I mean slow.

This is very frustrating and I cannot continue working this way.

Can you please advise if these connection issues are initial teething problems only, and if so when are they likely to be resolved? If they continue I will have to move to another provider, which will be inconvenient but necessary for my sanity!

Banditman3

It may be a combination of them both.  I suggest you clear your browser cache/cookies as a first step.

I recommend that you clear your browser's cache and temporary internet files to make sure that they are not causing your issue.

*For Internet Explorer browser: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Delete
*For Google Chrome: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Clear Browsing Data
*For Firefox: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL simultaneously and click Clear Now
(other browsers are similar)

For the best experience, you should update your browser to the latest version and make sure the newest version of Microsoft Silverlight is installed and running for browsers that support it.
Outlook.com is optimized for the following browsers: Windows Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10; Google Chrome 17 and higher; Firefox 10 and higher; and Safari 5.1 on Mac.
Outlook.com is good on the following browsers, but some features might not display properly: Internet Explorer 7, Google Chrome 16 and 5, Firefox 9 and 5, and Safari 5.1 on Windows or Safari 5 on Windows and Mac.
Outlook.com isn't supported on the following browsers: Internet Explorer 6 and older, Google Chrome 4 and older, Firefox 4 and older, Safari 4.x and older.......

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This hasn't answered my question at all! It has nothing to do with my browser's cache or temporary internet files, both of which have been cleared.

The connection problems I'm experiencing have only started since I changed from Hotmail to Outlook.

Once again I ask whether this is a temporary 'teething' problem due to the Hotmail/Outlook switchover, or is it likely to continue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Banditman3,

I understand how inconvenient this issue has caused you. Kindly verify if this issue also happens when using a different browser/computer. Please make sure that your browsers are up to date to get the most out of Outlook. It is possible that if you're not using an updated browser, some parts of Outlook might not work and it might not display properly. To know what are the supported browsers, you can refer to this link.

Also you can check for your account status at status.live.com and see if your account is having a server outage issue.

Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated. I'll look forward for your reply.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The hotmail.com to outlook.com interface is a persistent problem that Microsoft has yet to fix. Clearing the IE cache is not the problem. I've had problems on all my hotmail accounts when using IE8 (older PCs at home, and mandated version at work) on different PCs/laptops. (I can access my emails using my iPhone though.)  I will first see an error message. Then the connection would appear to slow to a crawl. Then I get a no connect/connection lost. Basically, I cannot do much except read an email or two before my hotmail/outlook freezes up! 

I'd recommend using Yahoo! mail or gmail instead. Now I need to look how I can export my hotmail content. Microsoft needs to fix its problem ASAP. This is unacceptable. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I doubt server outage issues are the culprit. It's likely the hotmail to outlook.com interface (software related). I've had problems on all my hotmail accounts all the time regardless of the PC, and esp. since Microsoft started reworking it Windows 8 launch in recent months. Could there be any relationship here? Hmmm...

I use Winx XP/IE 8 at home and Win7/IE8 at work and encounter the same problems when accessing my hotmail/outlook.com accounts. My PCs are up to date with the latest patches.  (I posted additional comments in another thread.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I totally agree, it's definately not server outages and clearing the IE cache does nothing to improve the situation.

I've got to the end of my patience with it and am in the process of transferring to gmail...I'll be dumping my Outlook account asap!

It's relatively straightforward to transfer hotmail/outlook mail to your gmail account, as well as all contacts...gmail offers/prompts this after you sign-up. I have to say the gmail is soooo much better...so fast!!

Thanks for the comments.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi mtb4fun and Banditman3,

I understand that you were still having problems in your Outlook.com. Let me assist you on this.

If you were able to access your accounts in other devices like mobile phones, this means your account is fine. If you are using Internet Explorer, you may refer to this article for things you can do to resolve this issue: Is Internet Explorer slow? 5 things to try

We encourage you to use the latest version of the browser for best Outlook.com experience. You may refer to this link for more information about best browser that you can use for Outlook.com: Which browsers are supported by SkyDrive, People and Outlook.com?

I hope these help. Should you have further questions, feel free to reply to this thread.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You must be the first person ever that thinks Gmail is good. Its folder handling is a real pain and far too narrow for meaningful names. The way it puts its conversations together is utterly hopeless. For this reason I'll have to stay with Hotmail and its damned connection issues. I will hope and pray that Microsoft very quickly gets the hell out of Hotmail and let us have back again what used to be a first class product. [Even with the faults though it's infinitely superior to Gmail. ]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It would be imagined that Outlook should work under IE as the optimum browser. But it's under IE that most of the connection issues occur. Probably the fewest errors are under Chrome.

Being a VB.Net developer I keep the cache clear all of the time (because of the issues that occur on DLL updates with VS2012) , so I think the cache is a red herring. Surely it is not above the wit of Microsoft to clear up this issue? As I have said many times if MS had saved all of the money they wasted on C# which is only VB.Net with squiggly brackets (there for the benefit of pompous C programmers) then they would have had more time to address these issues that keep coming out of MS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Keep seeing when your end loses connection. Stop looking like your Yahoo completion. DO WHAT IS NEEDED TO KEEP WE USERS GOING. 

Hotmail, this is the biz you are in and nothing said keeping up with demands EVER STOPPED. 

Looking forward to no more of these connection matters. Thanks 

MCSA X 30+ COMPUTING YEARS. No place for slagging when running this biz.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2022 Views 1,289 Applies to: