Emails to wrong addresses are not bouncing back.

If I misspell an email address, I would like a notification that the message did not successfully send. Or I would like the email to bounce back, so that I know that the sent address is not working.

Any help as to how to arrange a message failure to send bounce back email?

This is on Microsoft Outlook 2010

Thanks.

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft community!

As I understood your concern, you'd like to receive a notification or bounce message if you misspell an e-mail address of a recipient. Is this correct? If so, please be guided that there's no way to set up such option in Outlook.com as it is the system that responds and relays the message back if an incorrect e-mail address or a non-existing e-mail address was entered as recipient.

If you're asking about a setting in Microsoft Outlook 2010 which may have this functionality, I suggest that you contact Office support through this link.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I thought I'd post this in response to anyone trying to use the bounce-back method if trying to verify an email address, for example if you are unsure whether or not to use .com or .org, or if you are iffy on the name set-up, and so on.  

http://verify-email.org/

You can plug in an email address and it will verify whether it is active or not. I found this very helpful as Outlook.com is not sending me back a "bounced message" when the email is incorrect.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Laura,

Good day!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge to the community. We really appreciate your information.

In addition to Julius Cesar_B and to your post, please be informed that Microsoft will always notify the sender of the email once our server detects that you're trying to send an email to a non-existing account. Meaning to say, if the email address is misspelled or not, Microsoft will automatically detect if the address is indeed available or not.

For example:

You're trying to send an email to this address (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) and you've accidentally mistyped it as *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** or *** Email address is removed for privacy *** long as these addresses are already taken or someone uses/registered it, your email will still go through and you will not receive a failure delivery notification.

Should you have other questions or any other concerns, please reply to this thread and we will be happy to further assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But as a test, I purposefully sent an email to an email account that I know doesn't exist, and nothing bounced back to let me know of failed delivery. 

Is this a feature I need to turn on? I have OneDrive and everything, but my email is just under a regular outlook.com account.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello LauraLap,

Good day! Thank you for getting back to us. We are happy to assist you again with your concern.

According to your reply, you sent an email to an email address that doesn't exist and you did not receive a mail delivery failure. You would like to know now if there's a feature that you need to turn on so that you can receive a bounce message.

We would like to inform you that there's no feature for you to turn on to be able to receive a bounce error message. If you send an email to an invalid address, automatically you will receive a mail delivery failure. If you did not receive a mail delivery failure, we advise you to check your Outlook.com account settings
that may help you in receiving bounce error message. Please refer to this help article: Errors sending or receiving email

We hope that the information above will help you. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. 

Regards,
Carissa J.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with live.com

I don't get an notification when sending to an invalid email address.

The verify link above only detect invalid domain name, not invalid address.  Thanks

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm just guessing, but it looks like there is a flaw in the microsoft email program. 

That seems to be why someone from microsoft keeps pretending to "answer" our questions about this

problem by directing us to links that don't address the problem. :)

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 26,875 Applies to: