Question

Q: email sent back with error message "no MX or A records for hotmail.com" This thread is locked from future replies

someone i get mail from had an email sent to me come back with the error message "no MX or A records for hotmail.com".  my hotmail email address was correct and she forwarded the error message to me.  why did this happen?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What I notice here is that we're not seeing any public explanation of how these reports are being resolved.  Maybe the problem is something that's internal to Yahoo, or it could just be something that happens kind of rarely but not too frequently (ignoring the fact that the problem is sometimes very persistent, re-occurring with high frequency over the course of a week or longer period).

But the one piece of information we have is that Microsoft isn't saying.  My belief is that it's a problem with a Microsoft-Yahoo interaction.  Perhaps Microsoft is introducing fixes that address it in a very temporary way or a piecemeal fashion, rather than fixing it for all the affected IP addresses.  But until Microsoft speaks up, we're left to our own speculation.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thankyou for putting into words the thoughts swimming around my head.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Hi ImPerPlexed,

Thank you for getting back to us.

It is true that there are issues to which resolutions are not publicly provided. Normally, if the resolution is something that regular users can do on their own, the steps will be provided so the public can benefit from it. But if the resolution involves back-end fixes that may or may not work permanently and if it may involve third party companies, and it it's too technical for a regular user to understand, normally, these are kept from public view.

However, if you feel that solution should be provided for public viewing regardless of whatever reason, please feel free to send your feedback over to our feedback channel.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently was notified of a very similar issue from a yahoo account sending to Office 365 Domain on October 15th.

Is there anyway to be provided any historical information of DNS issues that day?

My Error was:

No MX or A records for gnllp.com

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ICKimp,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. For this matter, it would be best to get in touch with the Office 365 support team through this link or this one for better assistance. They will be more than happy to provide you the information that you need.

Should you have other questions regarding to the web based Hotmail/Outlook.com, don't hesitate to post it here in Microsoft Community or you may try to search for an answer via the search function.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Johan, I'm experiencing the same problem. I don't want to post my address publicly. How can I send you a private message.

Sorry this didn't help.

someone i get mail from had an email sent to me come back with the error message "no MX or A records for hotmail.com".  my hotmail email address was correct and she forwarded the error message to me.  why did this happen?

i just had the same problem when sending from a yahoo account to a hotmail.com account. Interestingly  to me when i later retried sending to the same hotmail address (after waiting about  25 minutes), there was no problem. i.e.the email went through with no error message bounce back.

edit:
i spoke too soon the problem came back when i tried sending to that same hotmail.com address about 30 minutes later.

So the problem appears to be intermittent.

Sorry this didn't help.

...and limited to certain email providers. I can receive email from Gmail and Hotmail.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having trouble sending email from my yahoo account to my wife's hotmail account.

No MX or A records for hotmail.com

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: from [98.138.100.114] by nm22.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 22 Nov 2013 00:51:35 -0000
Received: from [98.138.89.166] by tm105.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 22 Nov 2013 00:51:35 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1022.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 22 Nov 2013 00:51:35 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
Received: (qmail 62660 invoked by uid 60001); 22 Nov 2013 00:51:35 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1385081495; bh=kZLI67jXXeLU8k03T0I+le4jq9MwTvqxqkTzhvR53Ko=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=5P+mbCMVAKdNA9/nMac921un31KkEih+eCDeoepUL4RJAvrL2g5PYGTw8Ad8dQghbGDKAqpcFo5HVxfBAw3IXwTTP8Wi1rC017Vdn31NJXDqGw8bmbwZAHSwzHMmDTco9KYA5dQvGQrZO+YAff5VZVSXP+Ok0OPOMHwca3W5iiI=
DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
  s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
  h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
  b=kQSGsFm5NaU5Y88UdE5S6vw1Waz1umexrzWNNQ001EDHgStB3QxlW4lROmmgErruzFSgMAb2l/akGXlUVcxa7JJca0WbkOHIfE3KMsHwaMm6hGxWEgtV5RhWJ1j9RwtEYCx5DAbfzTGq1FlYUK4RP+CDAmnF18ajKiMxO42Lq7A=;
X-YMail-OSG: 5bcKN.kVM1lHmdQS_JQRW2ldH7KKDqR.wAs85ozbXrt_tnc
2ENzeRoZLVUPj3R9UaRXseaBHDXyypFvbrRIDz2nle97eupSLUKJQ6csq2Pi
R6dB0OcBkSDv7MarTVwYJsdIhtCBA7NyoJvS8JtWLaNryLRF34h7N3sgMKat
rlbIUuuVlp_pRq5cB_ldWLovlzDtMOuun8hPxv8TvfKlYD5KlJp1WAqtVeLN
qG6AS5p8pPhtunXXwdZfnHOTkaMkQ_dN9rPDKgBmS2s5tXf5moheg.B0vr7s
Qz571KXicd27EKjbYx_Zxxxi0wf7orvX1o3LsaXYrCTZrT9pIEfDrvKm9aZm
ADRqmuIYZEqYr18n6N5o_4pJrB1ufsMqTTyO6BUf5r9MeiQbK.7RvDKjz0Sg
o7LiLD_E7g9N8Vi1wR865hOz7A8Rpngrr1d7P2zydPmjIP9cFDLQdVXIfcXn
qZpLzkdIF6UJ78DWgDlP63XZ21TBmMO6HzjzrZXIX87JUaOw_uezMMyfFTEC
mBWo8SknLWELDp_D7bnhw5qEYRxfky84WWTLg_3xBJ7zkNqCZfoesNp8Q46Y
OUS.UcicyfgCujUFX5d0-
Received: from [54.240.196.186] by web125304.mail.ne1.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:51:35 PST
X-Rocket-MIMEInfo: 002.001,TWFueSBlbWFpbHMgdGhhdCBJIGFtIHRyeWluZyB0byBzZW5kIHlvdSBrZWVwIGJvdW5jaW5nLsKgIENhbiB5b3UgbGV0IG1lIGtub3cgaWYgeW91IGdldCB0aGlzIGVtYWlsP8KgIE1heWJlIGl0J3MganVzdCB0aGUgZm9yd2FyZCB0aGF0IGlzbid0IHdvcmtpbmcuCgpBbmR5ATABAQEB
X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.8.166.601
Message-ID: <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:51:35 -0800 (PST)

personal stuff not included

Sorry this didn't help.

Can this be fixed? How do you fix this bounce back message of 
no MX or A records

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info