Does my outlook account notify me if I have sent an email to an invalid address?

Does my outlook account notify me if I have sent an email to an invalid address?
I don't seem to get postmaster notification failure messages, has anyone else experienced this?
Is this another issue? If it is a setting can someone please tell me how to set it up. If it is a setting why has it changed from a default position that sent message failure notifications? Please help me understand this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi jonnie73,

Let me address your inquiry about sending messages. Please know that once you sent a message to a particular recipient, you'll only get a bounce message or notification for failed delivery of messages once the email account of the recipient is not existing on any domain. But if it does, you won't be able to receive any notification for it only means that the email that you sent went through and the recipient should be able to receive your email.

If you have any questions and clarifications, please let us know.

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Melanie_D,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes that seems like it should be the situation but the recipient did not receive the email. How do you find out if the email address exists on a domain? I know the domain exists.
Is there any other situation that can occur at the recipients domain that would mean the email wouldn't generate a notification failure? For example not being configured to react specifically for the new outlook.
I only say this as I did a test from a non microsoft email to the same address which generated a message send failure.

I also did a test from my Outlook account by sending a non email address to the gmail domain, This generated a message send failure.
I have also sent a test wrong addressed email to another small company domain. They actually replied saying that I had the wrong address. 
I also sent a test message from my other Outlook account to the original address that didn't generate a faliure response and again no postmaster message failure notification.

Why does this seem to be a selective process? 
Is it my Outlook settings or the domain settings?

I need to understand where the problem lies and how the technology works in message failure notification systems please.

Thanks for you consideration

Jonnie 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi jonnie73,

I understand that you're not receiving bounce emails when you send to an invalid email address. I also understand that this must be important to you. Don't worry, let us help you with this.

As what Melanie_D. has mentioned, it could be that the email account you have sent the email to does exist which is why you did not receive any bounce emails. If the recipient is not receiving your emails, kindly ask the recipient to check his settings to receive your emails.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Denise,

I have asked the recipient and they have said that no email was received, as I said in the first line of my previous post. The email address I was given to send the email to was different from their actual email address but the domain was correct, however I did not get a postmaster message send failure notification. When I have sent an email to the same address from a non Microsoft email account I have indeed received the message send failure notification. It seems strange to me that my outlook account is not sending me this message. Unless you can offer another explanation I have to conclude that it is a problem with outlook. Can you tell me why this may be happening? Or can someone who has technical knowledge of how these systems work give me some answers? 

Thank you for helping me out here

Jonnie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi jonnie73,

Let me try to figure out your issue. I would like to inform you that aside from sending to an "invalid email address", there are other reasons why a sender receives a failure notification. To have a better understanding about bounce messages, please read this article below:

How do I interpret the delivery failure message that I have received?

In addition, you mentioned that you did a test email where you used your Outlook.com account and other non-Microsoft account and sent an email to the same email account. Microsoft account did not generate a postmaster notification failure but the other non-Microsoft account did. To be able to answer your question, we need you to provide us the email address of the person you tried to send an email. Please post it in the private message area I've created for you. This information would help us reproduce the issue on our end.

Note: Click on You have a private reply to this message link just above your post to view the message. You need to be signed in to the Microsoft Community forum to view the link. We need you to reply back to this post once you have provided the information in the private area.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 8,503 Applies to: