delay in receiving email in my hotmail inbox both on the computer and iPhone

There is a significant delay receiving email into my hotmail inbox both on my computer and on my iPhone. I have tested sending messages to myself as well as asked others to send me emails and they do not pop up into my inbox for 10 to 20 minutes. There is not a delay sending e-mail to my gmail account or a mac account however.

[Moved from feedback]

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2018 Views 9,892 Applies to:

Hi jlatorre,

Based on your post, you are receiving delayed messages on your account no matter how you access your account. Allow me to investigate the issue.

There are different possible reaons why emails get delayed. Please check out the information I posted below:

- Server delay.

- If the user is using a firewall.

In line with this, I'd like to know if you are receiving any notification for the delayed messages. Please post your email account as well in the private message area so that we can check it on our end. To view it, please sign in using a Microsoft account and click Private Messages tab across All Replies.

Feel free to reply if you need clarifications.

Thank you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi jlatorre,

Thank you for your response. Here are the other reasons why there are delays in receiving emails:
  • The mail servers may be undergoing maintenance, or there may be a service outage.
  • The message was large, or it contained one or more large attachment.
  • Messages that are sent from Outlook.com, MSN, or Hotmail accounts are subject to the same spam filtering as incoming mail from third-party email services.
The issue that you've reported is sometimes general and is usually resolved automatically. If you would mind. I would like to ask a few questions with regards to your issue:
  • Are the emails you receive that has been delayed contain attachments?
  • Does the delay in receiving messages happen to any contacts that sends you an email?
We're looking forward to your response.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

All emails were delayed both with and without attachments, even tests I sent myself from my own email accounts that only contained one word. Now I am discovering that I am not getting some e-mails at all in the past few days, even ones that are on my safe list and in my contacts. I am beginning to wonder why I pay for this service when my free accounts seem to be more reliable at this point. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi jlatorre,

I’m sorry to hear that the steps we provided didn’t work. Let’s try something different to resolve this issue.

I've created a private message for investigation purposes. You may refer to the private message area or you need to click the notification that states “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section.", be sure that you are signed in to view my message.

Regards,

Joshua Rafael S.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. I also have the same issue. Has there been a solution for this problem yet?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've also had the same problems for at least a month on both my iPhone, desk top and windows pro laptop?

Frustratingly slow?

Please help

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I've got the same issue, can someone help me please?

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same issue! Most of my emails are delayed and sometimes I don't even get the emails. I've tried checking my emails using different apps: outlook.com, windows mail, phone, etc. Like there is a huge delay at the server. I see this more with emails regarding password resets from various sites. I know this is a hotmail problem because I can do the same password reset using a gmail account and it goes through immediately. Even recently I had a post selling something and immediately after posting there should have been several emails back to me from people responding... I didn't receive them until the next morning.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this same issue.  Huge delays on receiving emails and it doesn't matter if they're simple text or have attachments; happens from all different type of senders, not limited to one email account; happening on both my laptop and my Iphone.  What is being done to solve this problem?  Is it simply time to throw in the towel and move full time to gmail?  Please help.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Althea,

This post has already aged. I highly suggest you to create a new thread and kindly put the right tagging and the information needed for us to assist you better.

Regards.

·

Sorry this didn't help.