clearing "search email" box's cache

Hi Microsoft,

I am using the Outlook Web Access.  How do I clear the cache in the "search email" box?  I can't seem to find an answer for this.  No matter how I clear my browsers' cache it doesn't affect the "search email" box.

If there isn't a way to clear the cache, there should be one.

Thank you,

|

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with Outlook. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Do you use Outlook Web App to work with outlook.com?

Are you talking about Microsoft Outlook? if so which version of Microsoft office are you using?

Are you using outlook on phone or a computer?

Please reply with the required information. I will be glad to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with Outlook. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Do you use Outlook Web App to work with outlook.com?

Are you talking about Microsoft Outlook? if so which version of Microsoft office are you using?

Are you using outlook on phone or a computer?

Please reply with the required information. I will be glad to help you further.

Hi Ruth,

I am using Outlook Web App.  Whenever I use the "search email" box to search for emails, it prefills with some info and sometimes I don't want this box prefilled.

I looked for a way to clear the cache for the "search email" box but it doesn't exist.  Will future Outlook Web App have an option to clear the "search email" box's cache?

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having this problem.

To illustrate that this is NOT a computer or browser based problem I am able to see the same list of suggested email addresses (deleted, or not) on any computer, using any browser, even if I had never used that computer in the past.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim,

We apologize for the delay in response.

The Auto-Complete List is a feature which displays suggestions for names and e-mail addresses as you begin to type them. These suggestions are possible matches from a list of names and e-mail addresses from the e-mail messages that you have sent.

If you wish to delete an unwanted entry try the following steps.

1. Highlight the text field
2. Press the down arrow
3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the entry. Press delete.

Hope this helps. If you have any other queries please get back to us, we will be happy to assist you. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but this does not help.

I AM able to delete the errant names that show up in my To: (or Cc: or Bcc:) box by highlighting and clicking the X or by highlighting and pressing the delete button.

The problem I am describing only applies (in my case) to the Search Box (that typically says "Search email")

Before you suggest I clear my cache/history/cookies...

Further evidence that this is not a problem on my end, I can log into mail.live.com / outlook.com on a friends machine that I have never used before and these old contacts will still come up.   This list of auto completes has to be stored somewhere on the Microsoft/Outlook/Hotmail server end. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim,

As I understand, when you search for the email address in the Inbox, auto-complete does not work.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue. 

When you say "Search email", are you getting the deleted email addresses also?

Try to reset Internet Explorer and then try to Search email.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply and trying to help.

I do not use internet explorer.

My discussion is about the web interface of outlook.com or mail.live.com.

If you go to that site and log in so you are looking at your email, under the 9Square button, and the Outlook.com button is a small search window.

If you are in the INBOX, it says "Search email"  
If you are in the JUNK folder, it says "Search Junk

This is the box I am talking about.

If I enter ANY letter at all in there, it will bring up a list of past emails starting with that letter (some correct, some not, some in my address book, some deleted)

This is the search history I am trying to delete.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim,

I understand your concern, however it is not possible to delete the Search email history.

Say for example I am trying to search your name. If I enter J in the Search, it will show all the email addresses which have letter J. If you delete your name from the People/Contacts then it wont show your name and it will show all other names which have letter J in it.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

" If you delete your name from the People/Contacts then it wont show your name and it will show all other names which have letter J in it. "

This is not true.   This is exactly what I am asking for.    No matter where I delete false or old addresses, they continue to show up in that box.

You are wrong.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the same problem, which I reported here a while ago:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-oinfosafe/outlook-pop-up-shows-last-people-i-have-emailed/1e2f9046-22e7-4e10-8aa7-9641e0d11db7

When I enter a letter in the search box while logged in Outlook.com (top left of the screen), I get up to 5 email addresses of people who emailed me or whom I have sent email to. None of these emails exist in any of my folders (including the Trash or Deleted Items folder). See the attached image for an example.

I have set the Advanced privacy settings as recommended above. I have also cleared my browser cache. No change.

Like the original poster, I have the same set of suggestions no matter what computer or browser I use (which proves it's not something coming from the brower cache).

So, it seems Outlook.com keeps a list of "To" and "From" addresses associated with my account, even if I deleted all emails To/From these people, and these people are not in my contact list.

How do I delete this private information that Outlook.com is keeping?

Thanks,

M.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2021 Views 5,348 Applies to: