Where are my hotmail.com messages?

I have been forwarding my hotmail messages to a gmail account for the last several years.  3 days ago I noticed that I was no longer getting those messages in my gmail account.  I logged into hotmail and found I had been switched to an outlook account.  There are NO messages in my account.  Over 10 years of saved email is missing.  I tried the restore function and no emails were restored. Where did these emails go in the transition and how can I recover them?

Thanks

Hi,

With Microsoft Outlook, you can recover email that might have been accidently deleted from your inbox. This is also helpful if your account has been hacked, because hackers often delete all the messages in an account.

To recover deleted email
  • In the left pane of the Outlook window, click the Deleted folder. At the bottom of the window, click recover deleted messages.

Outlook will recover as many messages as possible and put them in your Deleted folder. If you don't see the deleted messages that you wanted, it means they are permanently lost.

When the recovered messages are back in your Deleted folder, you should move the important ones back to your inbox or personal folders because the Deleted folder gets cleaned out periodically.

Thank you

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried this before I posted and it didn't recover any emails. 

Today was the first day I got the Outlook inbox when signing in to my Hotmail.  It seems that my emails were never moved from the old Hotmail account to the new Outlook account as there are absolutely no old emails.  The only email in my box was a welcome email, timed the same time I logged in.  I've since recieved some of the regular emails that I recieve at this account, but still no old emails.

Thanks for any help!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Derrek,

It must have been hard on your part especially if you have lost very important emails on your account. Note that by upgrading to Outlook.com, you are only upgrading the user interface of Hotmail to the new user interface; hence all your emails should still stay in your Inbox. Let's see what we can do to resolve this issue. Listed below are the possible reasons on why the emails deleted/lost in your account:

• If your account was hacked and the hacker had already deleted emails in your account.
  • If your emails were over 365 days old, you may have lost them due to inactivity in the account even before you renamed the account.
  • If the feature Conversation Threading feature is turned on.
  • If you use Sweep to schedule a cleanup.

For starters,  we request for the affected email address in question so we could investigate deeper on your account. For security reasons, you need to login to this forum and provide the needed information in the private message I've started.

We look forward to hearing from you.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Derrek,

I can imagine how difficult your situation. Allow me to help you on how to resolve your concern. For us to do this, we need to gather more information on your end so we could investigate deeper on your issue.

• When was the account switched to Outlook.com?
  • Did the data loss occur right after Outlook.com upgrade or was the data still there for a brief time?
  • Have you encountered any issues logging in before noticing data loss? Have you reset your password?
  • Have you clicked on any link before the issue occurred?
  • Did you try to deactivate or downgrade to Hotmail.com before the issue occurred?

Note: For security reasons, you need to login to this forum and provide the needed information in the private message I've started.

We will be awaiting for your response.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact problem! I have been trying for 2 days to get answers. I have over 9yrs of saved info. on my Hotmail account & I need to access those NOW!!!!! This is very frustrating! No answers, no solutions. This is involving  potential employment & my resume, letters of recommendation & so on are saved all on my Hotmail account. I have a outlook account that I just made. Why wont my messages from Hotmail get transferred?                                                                                                                     CANT                                                                          SOMEONE                                                                                                                                        ANSWER                                                                                                                                                   THIS QUESTION                                                                                                                                                                FOR ME????????????????????????????????

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact problem! I have been trying for 2 days to get answers. I have over 9yrs of saved info. on my Hotmail account & I need to access those NOW!!!!! This is very frustrating! No answers, no solutions. This is involving  potential employment & my resume, letters of recommendation & so on are saved all on my Hotmail account. I have a outlook account that I just made. Why wont my messages from Hotmail get transferred?                                                                                                                     CANT                                                                          SOMEONE                                                                                                                                        ANSWER                                                                                                                                                   THIS QUESTION                                                                                                                                                                FOR ME????????????????????????????????

Did they delete all my mail?? I have same problem

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

mi cuenta fue hakeada. Susana_cociuffo @Hotmail.com.tuve que sacar otra outlouk es y no puedo recibir mjes.y tampoco reciben los mios

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi cjmusselman and Garysad,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. For us to better  assist you with your concern, it would be better if you will create your own thread in this forum.  This will ensure that we'd be able to address your concern without having to share any information to other members of the community.

Regards!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Susana,

You’ve reached the English support for Microsoft Community. To post a question in your own language, please click on the globe at the bottom of the page to pick your language.

Thank you. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem as of today. Hooked up a new computer Sunday and then got free upgrade from windows 8.1 to 10 and I am all messed up. I would love to have my old Hotmail emails back. Please help. Thank  you. Mary

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2021 Views 5,205 Applies to: