How do I access my old hotmail account?

Hello!  I have not accessed my old Hotmail account in some time.  Now I need to, but Hotmail takes me to a new, empty Outlook account instead.  Googling tells me I should sign in to Hotmail with my old e-mail address and password, but I cannot find an option in Outlook to do that.  Everything I try just keeps taking me to the new, empty account.  How do I get back to the old one?  How do I get to an Outlook/Hotmail login screen that does not take me to my new, now apparently the default account?
Answer
Answer

In case anyone else has the same issue, and finds this thread--I have the answer.  While I can't log in to the old account (there is no login screen that comes up except the one for the new account), once I'm logged in to the new account, I CAN link the old account to it.  Just follow the prompts for adding another e-mail account, and put in your old account e-mail.  I put mine in a new personal folder, and presto!  Well, not quite--I have thousands of old e-mails in that account, so the transfer took a while.  But they're all there now!

-  -  -  -  -  -  - 

* Added in December 2019.

* Additional info on adding/linking an account.

Cog icon > View all outlook settings > Sync email > Other email accounts > enter Name, Address & Password. With a Hotmail/outlook.com account you will probably not have to enter POP/IMAP settings. 

* Added in May 2020

Open a private browsing session, go to https://outlook.live.com , and sign in with another account.

A different browser can also be used to access another account.

A connected account will use the same user name and signature.

269 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2020 Views 238,840 Applies to: