Hotmail, Live, MSN, Outlook - Email

I desperately need help.  I have a Hotmail account I have had since January 1996, as well as a second one used as the alternate account.  For 2 weeks now when I try to log on I get a message "changes detected."  It wants to send a code to the alternate account listed as backup, but of course I cannot get into it.  I can not get to my auto insurance, therefore cannot renew my license, and already have gotten 1 citation.

There is an option to create a new account and have the code sent to it.  I have done that, however, it then goes to 3 pages of information they want: date created, zip code, etc., address of last 3 email sent and the subject lines,, etc.  I think I got the information correct, but I get a message not enough information to verify the account.  It has been 23 years!

Even the new account I created (outlook.com), every time I log in it gives me a "changes detected" message, but lets me enter a telephone number and texts me a code which "recovers" the account - not very efficient.

PLEASE HELP

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Dear Scott ,

I am an independent advisor, and I am trying to help other users in Community with my experience in Microsoft products.

I would suggest you to try to recover your account, using tips in this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17875/... . Try to recollect what information you were providing while creating the account https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12428/...

If you will still be unable to recover the account, then it is better to contact Microsoft Account Support for alternative recovery options https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12401/... They have the necessary tool to verify you as the owner of the account, and they are replying usually within 24H.

Hope this will help you retrieve your Microsoft Account.
Regards,
LA
***I'm an independent advisor and I don't work for Microsoft***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Don't call the scammer's phone number you likely just received.

If you've tried all these things https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026971/microsoft-account-how-to-reset-your-password then there's nothing any Microsoft Tech Support person can do as you can't prove you own the account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, it was a scammer.  They ripped me off for $200, but I realized it and notified the bank and got the payment stopped.  I just received a call from "John" at "Microsoft" stating that he had recovered my account and to call him.  I foolishly thought this was a Microsoft board.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft has it on their site and is ultimately responsible for what goes on here, but you are very unlikely to have any real Microsoft employees assisting you. Some are just fellow users such as myself, whereas others bomb the forums with replies to make some money, some being scammers as you found out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That makes sense.  I have been waiting to "chat live" with someone at Microsoft for over 3 hours, it had become apparent that MS is complicit, at least, has no problem with the scammer.  Since I got my money back, maybe I should call "John" back - no, probably not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I had already tried both of those.  Unfortunately, the second link is ultimately to a 3-page form.  When you submit the form, you get a reply that it may take 24 hours to reply, and IMMEDIATELY an email that "not enough information" was supplied.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Scott ,

In this case please proceed with contacting Microsoft Account support. This is a support that can verify your account and help you. To proceed please click on the link https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12401/... and select the option that my problem is not listed here and fill the form. Microsoft agent will reply to your submission.

I wish I could do more, however I am a user like you and I do not have access to support tools.
Regards,
LA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I will try it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Scott ,

Please try and if you will encounter difficulties, please let me know how it will go. Good luck :)

I wish I could help you out more, however I do not have access to Microsoft tools, as I am a user like yourself
Regards,
LA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just submitted the form, including the information about the scammer.  Theoretically someone will respond within 24 hours.  Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 3, 2021 Views 1,274 Applies to: