Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016240) Update Issue

Hello,

I just updated 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016240)' and the update removed all pre-update emails for today only. The emails for all prior days were not affected and continue to exist in Outlook 2016.

Example: All emails dated 04/25/2017 from 12:01 AM through 08:11 PM were removed from Outlook 2016.

I ran SCANPST.exe and it did not resolve the issue.

I am running Win 10 Pro 64 bit and Office 365. MS makes sure that I am current with the latest defects. I have a POP 3 account with EarthLink.

I am trying to figure out how to get my missing emails downloaded again from EarthLink. I do not want to create another Outlook account as I only have one or two days of emails online. I want to keep my current account which has over 100k emails on my PC.

Users beware of this update. MS has had far too many issues with Outlook and their forced auto updates.

Looking for guidance.

Dennis

"Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category."

Hi Dennis,

When you update your Windows 10, it does not include the Office updates. It is best to have both Windows 10 and Office products are updated. Regarding your concern, we recommend that you install Office updates on your computer to make sure it is updated.

Meanwhile, we would like to know more about your concern. Kindly provide the following information:

• Have you tried to remove your account, then add it again to the Outlook app?
  • Does the issue happens only on one account?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Ariel,

Your response does not reflect the reality of the issue.

The root of the issue is the 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016240).'

Advanced Settings - Choose how updates are installed:

'Check Mark' Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Window.

For the record, all my MS products have the latest updates. Past and present.

At some point in time. MS needs to acknowledge their issues and take ownership of them. To misdirect and blame the customer for the issue is wrong.

There are 15 other MS customers reporting the same issue. This is not a coincidence.

Dennis

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the information. We're investigating the issue to know what's causing the problem. We would appreciate if you will tell us what are the actions you have tried when you encountered the issue so that find another to sort this out.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you download and run the Windows update troubleshooter to scan and repair corrupted updates in your computer.

We look forward to your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Ariel,

The root issue is the 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016240).'

The MS update removed all pre-update emails for the day of the update only. The emails for all prior days were not affected and continue to exist in Outlook 2016 and new emails after the update were adding to my account. The bottom line, MS's update deleted user data.

I did not notice that the emails were missing until after backups had completed and I needed a phone number from an email that I received earlier that day. It was at that time, that I noticed all emails dated 04/25/2017 from 12:01 AM through 08:11 PM were removed from Outlook 2016. The MS update processed within minutes of the 08:11 PM time.

My online Email carrier account contained only a small portion of the emails deleted by MS. I recovered that small portion of emails by forwarding them to my Outlook 2016 account.

The issue is a programming logic error and lack of Quality Assurance on MS' part.

Dennis

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2018 Views 2,676 Applies to: