Can't receive emails from Yahoo via Outlook.com.

Original Title: Can't retrieve POP3 e-mails from Yahoo hosted mail server

My ISP uses Yahoo for it's e-mail.  Suddenly Outlook.com can't access those e-mail accounts.  It has been up and running for quite some time before this.  Nothing has changed.  I can directly login to that e-mail via Yahoo's mail portal.  I've verified that all of the settings are correct.  

This happened once before, but cleared after a few days.  I am using Chrome for my browser, the latest version.

Does anyone have any ideas?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community. We understand that you are unable to receive emails from your Yahoo account via Outlook.com. Please be informed that the common cause of not receiving emails from third party domain is POP/IMAP misconfiguration server settings (depends on how you configure them) or due to adjustments on their server.

If you still encounter this issue, we suggest that you answer the following questions listed below for further investigation:

• Does the issue happen when using a different computer?
  • Does the same thing happen when you access your account from the same computer with a different browser?
  • Are you accessing your account via webmail (Outlook.com) or mail client (Windows live mail)?

We look forward to receiving your response.

Thanks.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same problem. I have a custom domain hosted by Yahoo on their servers (pop.bizmail.yahoo.com and smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com). I set up Outlook (not Windows Live) to retrieve and send e-mails through that custom domain. This worked fine for many months, then suddenly....

The way I set it up is as follows:

1. My primary alias was an e-mail address on my custom domain

2. A send/receive account was set up using the pop/smtp server settings provided by Yahoo

As I said, this worked fine for many months, and then just stopped, with an error message saying "we were unable to sign in to your pop server, please make sure your username and password are correct" (which they were).

I have tried setting up a different primary alias (a *** Email address is removed for privacy *** address) and then removing and re-adding the custom address as a new account - but I still get the same error, and Outlook won't add the new account.

I am now able to SEND mails through Outlook using my custom domain (i.e., using my custom address as an alias), but completely unable to retrieve mails. Repeated attempts to set up the custom account again as a send/receive account are unsuccessful - Outlook simply appears unable to see and talk to Yahoo's servers, I keep getting the same error message (as above).

Please note:

1. The pop/smtp settings, ports etc. are correct - exactly as provided by Yahoo, and the same as what was working for months before the current problems

2. My username and password have been correctly entered (repeatedly!)

3. I travel a lot, and am often in different time zones around the world - I never change the local time on my computer. I am wondering whether the problem may be due to:

a. Time differences or mismatches creating sync problems

b. Connections through servers in different countries creating the problem

Can anyone help? I just want Outlook to talk to Yahoo and get me my mails!!!!

Thanks!! :-)

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Networkwiz,

I have responded to the private message. You need to be signed in to the Microsoft Community forum to view the link. Just click on "You have a private reply to this message" link just above your post to view the message.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I really believe the problem lies with Yahoo.  They do not support POP3 for their free accounts, but are supposed to when they handle e-mail for an ISP like ATT.Net.  Earlier this year the same thing happened when they stopped allowing POP3 for the AT&T e-mail accounts.  They fixed it eventually but I believe it has happened again.

While searching through the AT&T site I did find a notice saying that their were problems and that AT&T and Yahoo were working on it.  One of the 2 accounts that I have set up to use with Outlook.com will receive mail once or twice a week now, but not every day.  

All of my settings are correct and have worked for months before this.  I just wish Yahoo would get their act together.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. Outlook was sending and receiving email from my Yahoo account fine until yesterday, 12/11/13. Now it will send but not receive email from Yahoo.  I pay for the Yahoo mail plus subscription. it is not due to renew again until next summer. I have not changed any settings.
This is the error I am receiving...

Task '*** Email address is removed for privacy *** - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is not with Outlook, it is Yahoo.  They've had e-mail outages all week.  One of the problems is that they only allow pop3 access to paid users, or in my case, to users whose ISP uses them for it's e-mail.  They keep having issues where they treat ISP e-mail like their unpaid users.  Try to login to their e-mail site directly instead of using Outlook and you might get your mail.  If it follows the past pattern, suddenly your Outlook inbox will be full of new e-mails once they fix this.

I've been having problems with them for months, and from my research can almost guarantee that it is not Outlook, but Yahoo with the problems.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey all,

I know that Yahoo has had serious issues all this week, and also that they are not the most reliable outfit, but I really don't think it's them. My problem began weeks ago -- intermittently at first, but now, Outlook just can't connect to Yahoo.

I received some private replies, and the moderators asked me to try and connect to Yahoo through a desk to client. I was successful with several clients, including MS Outlook (desktop). So, the problem is NOT Yahoo.

The moderators confirmed as much to me through private messages on this thread. They assured me that they would look into it. That was over 3 weeks ago. Nothing since.

Waiting ....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yahoo has had issues with POP3 for months.  The first time it happened I finally got hold of someone at Yahoo tech support who said the issue was theirs.  It has not been stable (Yahoo) for quite some time.  So, this is not a new issue.  I sometimes go days not being able to get my mail, then it all floods in at once.

If you have another pop3 e-mail client like Incredimail, I think you'll see the exact same issue accessing any pop3 account on Yahoo's mail servers in which you are not a paid member.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem.  It worked for a long time and stopped about two weeks ago. Yahoo pop mail thru Gmail and using any type of email client works, now it just works one time when I initially add the Yahoo account but never again after that.  If I "resave" the settings, it will again retrieve the Yahoo mail.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mike,

I suggest you to remove your Yahoo account and then re-add following the steps given in the link below.

Add all your email accounts to Outlook.com

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/gmail

Let us know the status of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 13,580 Applies to: