What happens when you click 'My friend's been hacked'?

So I was using my Outlook.com and I was wondering what the 'My friend's been hacked' button will do - so, being inquisitive, I clicked it to see what would happen, expecting a confirmation box (which I would cancel), but none appeared. It was for a Google Plus notification, I removed it from junk anyway - I just want to know what else will happen? Will Microsoft email me and I'll email them telling them it was an accident? Just want to know nothing else will come from it, like if emails from that address would be blocked. Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 21, 2019 Views 6,454 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you want to know what will happen when you click 'My friend's been hacked' in Outlook.com.

Firstly when you click My friend's been hacked in Outlook.com you will receive a pop up stating "You're helping us fight junk by telling us about messages that are bad. We may share this email with other companies so they can help stop unwanted messages. Thank you." and the email will eventually go to the Junk folder. The email address would a high possibility to be tagged as a compromised account. To know more about this feature, you can check the link below:

Let us know if you have other questions.

Thank you.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks! I just didn't seem to get the confirm popup. I took the email out of junk and made sure there were no filters changed.
Windows 8 being a pain? Try Ubuntu - it's free!

Sorry this didn't help.

So, if I click that selection, does my friend receive any notification that their email has been hacked or does Microsoft do anything to prevent the same entity from continuing to hack it or...what?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, if I click that selection, does my friend receive any notification that their email has been hacked or does Microsoft do anything to prevent the same entity from continuing to hack it or...what?

I would love to know the answer to this also. I don't want to have to be the one to keep telling my friends when they have malware or a bot or whatever. They should be notified by clicking on this choice.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community Forum. I sincerely apologize for the delayed responbse and it's my pleasure on answering your inquiry about what happens when you clicked this option in Outlook.com.

As what my colleague mentioned, you should receive a pop message and the email will go to the Junk folder. Once you reported your friend's account, it will not prompt him/her that the account has been hacked. We appreciate your comments and suggestions about our product. If you want this feature to be added in Outlook.com, it would be best if you would send us your feedback by going to this link.

You may also read the helpful article that my colleague provided above for more information on how to how to deal with online abuse, phishing scams, and junk email.

Feel free to post back if you have other issues or clarifications and I'll be happy to assist you. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

So, my hacked friend(s) do not get any notification that they have been hacked from you????

Should I continue to notify my friend(s) that they have been hacked by sending a new email or by forwarding the hacked email to them??

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there JEANNEBATACAN

Welcome to the Microsoft community forums

If you wanted to you could notify your friends. This is what I would send my friends, if they was ever hacked, so they know. Feel free to use it as a template if you wish:

Hey there,

I received a message from you earlier today that looked a little suspicious. I think your email account may have been hacked. Please check this support article here "Hacked account". You can also go to Your "Microsoft Account" and reset your password.

Regards,

Also, I would like to say, sometimes it may not be best to forward an email over, especially if it has attachments. Sometimes Hackers will send attachments in emails to other contacts, possibly to hack more accounts. I would always flag the email (to their other email account) and inform your friends, without forwarding the email over, so they know.

I would also like to point out that you should never open attachments that comes in suspicious emails, even if it comes from Microsoft or your friends, this is because the sender or hacker could have put a virus or spyware in there. Once you open the attachment, this could then be installing it's self onto your computer/device, with or without you even knowing, and once it has been installed it will begin to collect and harvest your personal information (Including bank details, passwords, usernames, activity logs etc...)

I hope all of this information helps you with your question. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply back or post a question on these forums.

Regards,

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you want to know what will happen when you click 'My friend's been hacked' in Outlook.com.

Firstly when you click My friend's been hacked in Outlook.com you will receive a pop up stating "You're helping us fight junk by telling us about messages that are bad. We may share this email with other companies so they can help stop unwanted messages. Thank you." and the email will eventually go to the Junk folder. The email address would a high possibility to be tagged as a compromised account. To know more about this feature, you can check the link below:

Let us know if you have other questions.

Thank you.

I've clicked it many many times due to the fake Skype and YouTube "missed voicemail" etc. emails and I never get the pop-up box (But I am getting very tired of this spam and may have to go with an email provider that screens better)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Terry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further. 

• How do you access your email account? Is it by Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook.com web browser or Outlook App?

• Explain in brief the issue you are facing?

Please reply with the above information and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Access: Outlook.com Web

One or two of these fake messages per day for a few months.

Clicking on a link usually triggers a warning from my anti-virus app and I do frequently find malware when doing a scan, although I cannot tell if it is coming from this.

With each email I Create Rule for Subject to Delete, but I edit the actual Subject to exclude the obvious variables used, like the time of day or a nonsense word, that I assume is meant to thwart the effectiveness of a rule (because that exact subject will never be used again).

Sometimes I create a rule for keywords to Delete, also.

I also click on My Friends Been Hacked (even though don't know them) and then I find the email in the delete or junk folder and click on Phishing Scam.

Thanks.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.