Email in my hotmail inbox moved to a new POP folder after syncing to Outlook 2007

Hi,

To avoid confusion I am referring to my Outlook.com email account as Hotmail since that is what it originally was (and I wish it still was outlook blows chunks) I decided to try linking my Hotmail email account to Office Outlook 2007 this morning so I could click email us links on websites and be able to email them without copying the link address into Hotmail. After successfully doing that and getting Outlook 2007 to look and behave the way I wanted (or so I thought) I selected all the emails in the inbox and marked them as read because I had already read them in Hotmail.

When I went back to my Hotmail account I noticed my inbox was completely empty and a new folder had appeared as a sub folder of my Deleted folder named POP. Since I had just created a POP3 link to my Outlook 2007 I assumed the emails I had marked as read had been moved there and they had been. This worried me because I want to keep those emails and I know that the deleted folder get emptied automatically each week (or is that the junk folder?). I don't want to move those emails to a new folder to save them I WANT them in my inbox. So I moved them back to my inbox where I WANT them to stay.

I went back to Outlook 2007 and now I have a duplicate of all those emails I had moved. The duplication is not that big of a deal to me but, I think all those emails will now get archived on my hard drive in the Outlook 2007 archive file adding more clutter and wasting HDD space. I don't want that either. I have always used my Hotmail account as a sort of cloud based archive for important files and pics etc that I don't want to lose if something bad happens to my PC like a failed drive.

While in my Hotmail account I noticed a barely noticeable message at the very bottom of the window that said "
Your messages are in your POP folder! Some other program is set to download and delete your messages from Outlook. Just in case this was an accident, we've put them in a special POP folder. Not an accident? Change settings" I clicked the Change settings link and got this instead the settings page "
Sorry, there seems to be a problem with Outlook right now"

I have several questions:
What do I have to do to prevent Outlook 2007 from doing this again and duplicating emails when I move them back to my Hotmail Inbox?

Do I need to uninstall Outlook 2007 or is there a setting I need to change there?

I have read a few other threads that say they have lost their emails and I wonder if they did the same thing I did with linking their Hotmail account to their Office Outlook?

Almost all the threads were from today so is this just a temporary glitch?

Sorry I tend to be a bit on the wordy side but, as a great Treant once said; "If it is worth saying, then it is worth taking a long time to say it."

Respectfully,
MontyFly

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello MontyFly,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you with your concern.

First, we would like to apologize for not answering your concern in a timely manner. You stated in your post that you configured your Microsoft account to Office Outlook 2007. You also said that when you open your Hotmail account via webmail, you've noticed that your Inbox was completely empty and a new folder had appeared as a sub folder of your Deleted folder named POP.

We would like to inform you that once the account was accessed via Mail Client or other device and the POP is enabled then the option to “Do what my other program says—if it says to delete messages, then delete them” is selected, all emails from the Inbox will be downloaded to the Mail Client or other device. It will also be removed from the web mailbox.

To prevent Outlook 2007 from duplicating emails when you move them back to your Hotmail Inbox, we advise you to check your POP settings in Outlook.com. Please Enable the option, "Don't let another program delete messages from Outlook" and make sure that the option to “Leave a copy of message on the server” is enabled from your mail client.

To enable the "Don't let another program delete messages from Outlook" please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your Microsoft account.

2. Go to "More mail settings."

3. Under "Managing your account" click 'Connect devices and apps with POP."

4. Under "POP" tick "Enable."

5. Under "Deleting downloaded messages" tick "Don't let devices or apps delete messages from Outlook. If the app or device is set to delete, Outlook will move the messages to a special POP folder instead."

For the option “Leave a copy of message on the server” is enabled from your mail client," We request you to post your concern to the Microsoft Community here: Office Outlook 2007

Once you already on the web page click "Particpate" and "Ask a Question." If you have additional question, kindly include that in the detailed description of your issue.

If you have any other concern about Outlook.com, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Carissa J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Carissa,

Thank you for the not so timely response. Unfortunately you have not answered any of my questions except by telling me to post my questions someplace else. "Pass the buck" may be a fun game to you but, to me it is not.

The instructions you gave me were not helpful to say the least. As mentioned in the original post the email in my Hotmail inbox was moved to a new POP folder already. This to me would indicate that the steps in #5 "Deleting downloaded messages" tick "Don't let devices or apps delete messages from Outlook. If the app or device is set to delete, Outlook will move the messages to a special POP folder instead." were already done. I looked and that was already ticked.

Besides as I also mentioned in my original post this is happening when I mark the email as "read". I did not delete the emails I had only marked them as read so your solution again was not applicable.

How do I stop my email from moving to the Hotmail POP folder when I mark the email as "read" in Outlook 2007?

Respectfully,
MontyFly

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the exact same problem….!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Open Outlook 2007.

Tools, Account Settings..., click on the account, click on Change, click More settings..., click Advanced tab.

Under Delivery, check to Leave a copy of messages on the server. 

Delete after..... and Delete when.... may also be checked.  Click OK.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MontyFly,

Have you been able to fix your problem? I have been going through the same exact thing.

Thanks in advance! El Pescador

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lol The message said "0 found this helpful", so I said "me too" - now it says thanks for the vote - 1 found this helpful, which wasn't what I intended. I'm ****. I can't figure out how to get my messages out of my pop folder and back into my inbox either...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you selected the setting to Leave a copy of messages on the server?

Login to your account using a browser.  Move the messages back to the Inbox.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder if Microsoft could be persuaded to provide a tick box to record the number of people who found a reply unhelpful?

You are correct to point out that your questions were not answered. I have the same problem with my Outlook.com account which had been working fine, but decided to stop working for no apparent reason and invented a POP file to hide my incoming mail in, all by itself.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am  using Outlook webmail and syncing with iPhone.  When I delete a message form my iPhone it is deleted from Outlook, even though I have Pop enabled with the "

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The setting only applies to emails downloaded using pop3 protocol.

It does not apply to emails that are deleted by email apps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2022 Views 7,290 Applies to: