Delete auto complete wrong entries - leave feedback asking for that option

Are you like many other Outlook users, in that in the past you have entered wrong or incorrect email addresses in the To: panel ?

Would you like to be able to delete those wrong email addresses that Outlook stores, but which you have no access to? Go to the link below and ask Microsoft to provide the option of editing and deleting those wrong entries. Google's Gmail has that option, as do others - so why not Microsoft?

The biggest problem is that the Asian call centres are not comprehending English context, thus failing to pass our complaints and frustrations back to Microsoft.

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlnewmail

And now I have a web page on it as well

www.dorsetdog.com/outlook-com-delete-auto-complete-entries

You can Tweet Microsoft as an alternative method of getting the message across to them. Or you could add your comment onto my Tweet to increase the awareness, which will increase the message globally more quickly by many commenting on one tweet.

Microsoft's Twitter is @Microsoft and the hash tag for this campaign is #outlookDeleteAutoCompleteEntries 

So my tweet was

@Microsoft #outlookDeleteAutoCompleteEntries Please address this issue so that users can delete auto-complete entries 

And I attached the screenshot of my post in the Microsoft Community Outlook.com forum, so my Tweet to Microsoft looked like

Mark

Discussion Info

Last updated June 4, 2019 Views 697 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In response to this issue, moderators keep suggesting that the "only suggest addresses from my contact list" option be set. They do not understand that we want the autosuggest feature to suggest addresses (not in our contact list) that were previously entered into the TO field and now "remembered" by the autosuggest feature.

The problem is that Microsoft does not provide the ability to edit or delete addresses that are "remembered" by the autosuggest feature. So any obsolete address or any address with an error are remembered and suggested.

We need the ability to edit the addresses (not in our contact list) that are "remembered" by the autosuggest feature.

Yes, Langware. And if enough people click on the link in the top post and leave clear feedback to that issue, then we might get it
Tired of bad customer support by large corporations
if enough people click on the link in the top post and leave clear feedback to that issue, then we might get it

Mark,

I totally agree with you. I have left Microsoft feedback on this issue, and have encouraged others to do so.

Thank you for starting this discussion thread and providing a link that can be used to give feedback directly to Microsoft.

Microsoft knows about this problem. I first reported it over 17 months ago (December 2012). I am sure that many Outlook.com customers are annoyed by this problem, but do not even know about the Microsoft Community web site.

It is sad that Microsoft, with quarterly revenue of over $20 Billion dollars, refuses to fix this known problem. How difficult can it be ... they could assign it to a summer intern and have it fixed by fall ... yet I suspect that a year from now we will still be without a fix.

Those who would like to see this problem fixed ..... please use the link that Mark provided in this thread's original post to give feedback to Microsoft.

Share this jpeg on Facebook, Twitter and other social media - to make people aware of the forum. I'll create a page about it when I get home from work.

And don't forget to click on the "me too" on the top post

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

Are you meaning Outlook.com? or Outlook Office Program?

If you are meaning the Outlook.com website. Then you can delete your saved usernames and passwords through your browser settings. 

If you are meaning the Auto Fill entry when you are sending an email on Outlook.com. You can remove it by clicking in the 'To' box, and then putting your mouse courser above the name on the right hand side of the name and Email Address. You should then see the little "x" appear. Simply click it, and it will remove it from the Auto Fill Box

I hope this helps, please post back any comments

Regards,

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Article Author | Windows & Xbox Insider

Hey there

Welcome to the forums

Are you meaning Outlook.com? or Outlook Office Program?

If you are meaning the Outlook.com website. Then you can delete your saved usernames and passwords through your browser settings. 

If you are meaning the Auto Fill entry when you are sending an email on Outlook.com. You can remove it by clicking in the 'To' box, and then putting your mouse courser above the name on the right hand side of the name and Email Address. You should then see the little "x" appear. Simply click it, and it will remove it from the Auto Fill Box

I hope this helps, please post back any comments

Regards,

Nathan

Download this image and mark it with a big X to show me exactly where you think the delete cross appears on the entries - so that we can permanently delete wrong email addresses from the auto-complete list. The email address nick.crabb is wrong and I want to permanently delete it from the Auto-Complete

And yes, this refers to Outlook.com as this is the Outlook.com forum

Hey there

Thanks for the picture at the bottom. You could have been talking about the Office Outlook or the Web based Outlook. That is why I asked, however, it did make me laugh =D

Now, regarding your question. Please take a look at the picture below for more details on how to remove the contact from the Auto Fill function within the web based Outlook

Please note- You will need to have your mouse curser above the contact you wish to remove from the auto fill feature, for the 'X' to show at the right hand side of the name.

I hope this is more clear to you, and it helps you all with removing contacts from the Auto fill feature within Outlook.com

Please be sure to post back any results you may have,

Regards,

Wrong or incorrect emails, such as the nick.crabb example in my post above do not appear in "Frequent contacts" because they are incorrect email addresses that do not exist - the recipient does not exist.

These "incorrect addresses" will only show when certain letters (any letter) are typed into the To: box. 

And as soon as one types a letter (any letter) into the To: box then the "Frequent contacts" becomes unavailable and the delete option vanishes 

Hey there,

I have tried, and found the same problem

I have sent the suggestion to Microsoft, and awaiting a reply from them. I have also given them a link with this thread on it.

Regards,

Also,

Have you tried this suggestion.

This suggestion is from a Microsoft Employee, and they suggested changing your privicy settings so that only people on your contacts pop up in the to field                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

1. Sign in to your Inbox.

2. Click on the gear icon located at the upper right part of the screen.

3. Choose Options from the dropdown.

4. Under Customizing Outlook, choose Advanced privacy settings.

5. On Auto complete suggestions, choose Only suggest people in my contact list.

6. Click Save.