rules not working at ALL in outlook.com

I HAVE RULES THAT ARE NOT WORKING AND IMPORTANT EMAILS END UP IN THE JUNK FOLDER.  What is the solution?

I try to filter messages using the 'if sender contains' filter and move it to a different folder.  I also have aliases set up and I try to filter messages sent to the aliases into a folder named for that alias.  Unfortunately many of my rules aren't working.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2019 Views 3,583 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community Forums. You have reached the right place. Let us work together to find the root cause of this issue and try resolving it.

The rules will work on the incoming emails after you create a rule. It will not work on the existing emails.

If you still face the issue please recreate the rules with the following steps and let us know if it works:

1. Sign in to your account using the same link as above.
2. Click the Cog icon located at the upper right corner of the page then select Options.
3. Under the Customizing Outlook, click on Rules for sorting new messages.
4. Click the New button.
5. Under Step 1: Which messages do you want this rule to apply to, 

a. First drop-down menu - choose Subject
    b.
Second drop-down menu - choose is
    c.
Third field - input the word you would like to filter
6. Under Step 2: What action do you want to apply, click on the
drop down arrow beside Inbox then select the folder name or Move to a new folder then type a folder name.
7. Click Save.

Note: This rule will take effect for incoming emails only. For emails that were received before the rule was created, you need to manually move it to the specific folder.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Outlook.com in future.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.