Email is coming from my own email address.

Original Title: peterclyde.

Hi, Can anyone in the community give me a straight answer to a problem I have with my email junk mail. I tried the web chat help line, was on for 1 hour and 38 minutes and I did not get a straight answer that was easy to understand and after all that time my problem still exists.

here is the the whole problem as best as I can explain it.

About a month ago something went wrong with my google chrome. in the end up I had to delete it from my laptop and then reinstall it. When i did this my hotmail account had gone and had been changed to outlook automatically. This is where my problem lies. like everybody I get junk mail and it goes straight into my junk mail folder. My problem is now that I'am on outlook, when I try to block some of these junk mail it comes up that I cannot block this message as it is coming from my own email address and it will not let me block it. There for I have to just delete the message which I just keep getting it.

Can anybody tell me what it means that the email is coming from my own email address as I'am not sending these messages to myself and how to i solve this.

many many thanks

peter.

Question Info

Last updated July 26, 2019 Views 806 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Outlook.

It's quite easy.  Everything you normally see on the screen when examining a mail message is part of the body of the message (even though it looks like the headers) and the From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject, Date, and all those other items are totally unrelated to how the message is transferred between mail transports.  The actual sender and recipient are part of the protocol interchange in which the sending and receiving mail transports engage and that exchange (called the "envelope") isn't anything you see when examining the message under normal conditions.  So, the sender and recipient addresses are actually independent of whatever is in the form and to fields and the spammer can insert anything he wishes into those fields and it doesn't affect how or to whom the message is delivered.  So, the program being used by the spammer inserts your address (note that it has your address or you wouldn't be receiving the message) as the From field and when you view the message it looks like it comes from you because the program you use to view the message can't show the actual sender, only what's in the From field.  It doesn't really come from you, though.  It comes from the spambot computer which could be anywhere in the world.

This is quite usual for spammers.  It does not in any way indicate your account has been hacked.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps:

Click on the name of the person who is sending these emails (which should appear as you) and see if the actual email address is yours or a random one

If it is a random one but the name that you see is your own, your account has not been hacked, but someone has obtained your address and name. Do the following:

1. Go to the outlook website

2. Tick the box next to the scam email

3. Click on the down arrow next to 'Junk'

4. Click 'phishing scam'.

If it is your own address and name, then your account may be hacked and not to worry I will help you out on this.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.