can't see a picture in one message on Hotmail anymore - has now disappeared

I just discovered that I can't view one embedded picture in a Hotmail account. The last two e-mails sent to me by two people - one of them the same sender - show multiple, embedded, pictures OK. But in this one, I now just get nothing but a blank e-mail besides the message - including on Reply (see below). I was able to view it for awhile OK at first - but it seems to have "disappeared" recently. I didn't try to Save it before.

This e-mail will display TWO boxes - instead of only ONE picture - ONLY on Forward - but NOT on Reply. I get a generic background scene (mountain) with "photo.JPG" in one box; and a solid gray background, with white paper document image, with "ATT00001" (probably a file #) in another box. Then when I left or right click on either, it asks me if I want to remove them. So there is still some sort of image file registering - but I can't get it to display the actual picture, even when I do Forward. I can't Save it either. NO red "X"s nor "broken picture" icons.

We just installed online updates for Windows 7 Home Premium on this computer. This was after I got this most recent picture - but the other previous pictures are OK. This same problem happens on both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Could it be some sort of corrupted cached file somewhere on our computer? Can it be fixed so that the picture is properly displayed? If so, how do we do it? Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you with your concern. 

We would like to apologize first for not answering your concern in a timely manner. According to your post you are having issues with viewing picture in your emails.

We recommend that you optimize your browser. This will serve as an initial troubleshooting that shouldn’t be overlooked. All bases should be covered, and browser efficiency should be ensured since Outlook.com is a browser dependent service. 

Check the links below to do so:

You may also want to check the link below, to know which browsers are supported by OneDrive, People and Outlook.com.

Which browsers are supported by OneDrive (formerly known as SkyDrive), People and Outlook.com?

You can also try to use other computer, to check if your will encounter the same issue.

If the issue still persists, it would be helpful if you can provide us your affected email address and screenshot of your issue for our investigation. To take a screen shot, click one of the links below and follow the instructions provided there:    

Here are the steps to upload a screenshot:

1. Click “Upload a File” on the private message,
2. Click Browse.
3. Navigate to where the file you want to upload is saved on your computer and click Submit.

Kindly, provide all the information we need for investigation to private message we
created for you. 

Note: Please sign-in to this website in order to see the Private Message tab where you can provide the email account. We also need you to reply back to this post if you have already provided the information on the private data area. This will help facilitate our actions regarding your issue.

We are looking forward to your response. Your cooperation and patience is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carissa J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Greg Lang 01,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We understand that you're unable to view the pictures now in your email though you used to see them before.

We would like to inform you that the reason why we ask you to optimize your browser as part of our initial troubleshooting, is for the browser to delete unnecessary clutter which could be causing the issue.

Steps in optimizing the browser will vary with the browser that you are using. You may refer to the steps provided by Carissa_J. for instructions.

If this does not work for you, please let us know.

Thanks,
Cristi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My friend's computer uses Mozilla Firefox set as the default browser. Internet Explorer is the installed backup. Microsoft products are so oriented towards others by the same company, that they won't even tell me what the default browser is, if it's a non-Microsoft product.  >:-(  Internet Explorer continues to be be slow, problematic, and essentially worthless.

I am waiting for the opportunity to use another friend's computer - he works shift work, so it's a matter of getting him at the right time. As I stated before, with the computer I'm currently using, only the ONE image in the ONE e-mail, shows in neither browser, Internet Explorer nor Mozilla Firefox. I still don't know why this is.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg Lang 01,

Welcome back to Microsoft Community!

I've sent you a reply in the private message area. Please click the link located above your post that says "You have a private reply to this message" and make sure that you are signed in to Microsoft Community to view the message.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been waiting for another reply first. The same problem is happening on another friend's computer. So it looks like optimizing my browser is redundant. It would have had to be for Firefox Mozilla, not Internet Explorer.

I can see where tracing the ISP might help. The problem does look like it's in the individual e-mail. I did receive it, intact though - the problem is that original, embedded, picture simply disappeared sometime recently, before I could save it, in my own files.

I will PM you back right now, about the above in regard to this issue. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have finally fixed this problem. Rather, I have found the source and cause of it. First, I want to reply to your request.

Re tracing the ISP info. I did receive the e-mail intact, and was able to view the picture originally. The "View Message Source" data says "PASS", and there are no error codes. It also verifies that an "image/jpeg" was embedded as "photo.JPG".

I did finally get the "missing" picture showing again. When I went into "Actions", I clicked on "Show Message History" - but this appears to pertain to Chat History - irrelevant to actual e-mails; according to the MS Community forum. At that time, I seem to have somehow also clicked on the caret to the right of "Outlook.com Active View" - which I only found the significance of out later, when I was checking the status of embedded pictures in other e-mail messages on the same Hotmail account. Therefore, I have to conclude that I accidentally clicked on the caret - which would have to be for viewing pictures in individual e-mails - after I last viewed the picture in question. I didn't really know what any of this was about, as I've never seen any info on it. Hasn't anybody else ever had what was at first a frustrating, perplexing problem of this type?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the problem fixed - somewhat. However, I'm now not completely certain how I accomplished it.

What I mean by "caret" is also a "v" that becomes inverted back and forth when you click on it. These are just a reversible arrow. It's by Active View, which just tells you how to turn that so-named feature on and off.

However, I clicked on "Show Message History" in another e-mail in this same account, with embedded pictures - and it turned it showing the pictures on and off - they became hidden instead of displayed.

Since I also got chat references listed with respect to Outlook when going onto Google, I'm wondering what Show Message History is really supposed to be? That doesn't turn up; nor is it obvious; nor is it explained.

It now appears that I actually clicked on this to show the picture that had been hidden in the problem e-mail that I had described. Furthermore, I have now found out, that when I open the account and this same e-mail, that the embedded picture has become hidden again. While I can make it display again, this is obviously a nuisance. It wasn't doing this originally. It's also apparent that I've only partly solved the problem. What is really going on here and why is this weird phenomena happening?

Very frustrated and I want to get to the bottom of this odd problem. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

We would like to verify the steps you have mentioned on how you manage to resolve the problem with the photo attachment so we can also reproduce it on our end. With this, we would like to ask for screenshots of the detailed steps you conducted on your end.

We can give you better answers on your questions if we can see the better picture of the issue through your screenshots. Kindly post the screenshots in the private message area that we previously created for you. To view it, please sign in using a Microsoft account and click Private Messages tab across All Replies.

We appreciate your patience and effort regarding this issue and we apologize for the frustration this matter had caused you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

We would like to verify the steps you have mentioned on how you manage to resolve the problem with the photo attachment so we can also reproduce it on our end. With this, we would like to ask for screenshots of the detailed steps you conducted on your end.

We can give you better answers on your questions if we can see the better picture of the issue through your screenshots. Kindly post the screenshots in the private message area that we previously created for you. To view it, please sign in using a Microsoft account and click Private Messages tab across All Replies.

We appreciate your patience and effort regarding this issue and we apologize for the frustration this matter had caused you.

Thank you.

I can get screenshots all right. However, I can't PM them. When I try, according to the message I get in the PM area, ONE screenshot alone, takes up @ TEN times the "character numbers" of the allowable amount (2,700,000+ vs the 60,000 maximum). I have no idea how many MB one screenshot is - more than the 100 MB maximum obviously; probably @ 1,000.

So what do I do now? I am more frustrated....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg,

Our apologies for the frustration and confusion.  I understand you are able to figure out a way to view the attached photos on your emails.  However, you can check out the Active View feature in Outlook.com to make sure that it is turned on.  Please try the following steps:

1. In your Outlook.com Inbox, click the gear icon beside your Profile name.

2. Click the gear icon beside your profile name.  Choose Options.

3. Under Reading Email, click on Active view settings.

4. Click Always show previews (for example, photos and videos) under Do you want to see previews?

5. Click Save.

If the issue persists even after activating Active View on Outlook.com.  Please provide us screenshots in the Private Message as previously requested.  The screenshot shouldn't take up too much file size.  Please check out the article below for instructions.

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots     

Here are the steps to upload a screenshot:

1. On the private message, click Upload a File.
2. Click Browse.
3. Navigate to where the file you want to upload is saved on your computer and click Submit

Let us know how things turn out.

Regards,

Leah

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2023 Views 4,599 Applies to: