"User is authenticated but not connected" using Thunderbird mail client

For about 2 days I've been getting strange authentication errors when I try to connect to my hotmail account using Thunderbird. I can connect and authenticate using the outlook website to my account using the same account and password.

My account details haven't changed and I haven't changed any configuration options in Thunderbird which has been working flawlessly for several years previously. Now I can't view any of my mail folders through thunderbird. Whenever Thunderbird tries to connect I get:

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account [account name] responded: User is authenticated but not connected.

followed by:

Server [account name] has disconnected. The server may have gone down or there may be a network problem.

According to the Office 365 Service Status Site there was a problem sending and receiving mail in Europe, but I am not in Europe and I can;t even connect to my mail inn order to send mail.

I reset the cached password in Thunderbird and immediately received a message (in my backup email) saying unusual account activity and asking to verify my account. (so the server is certainly receiving the authentication request.

I have tried removing the account in Thunderbird and when I add it back, it fails with the same messages each time.

How can I regain access to my hotmail account with Thunderbird?

EDIT: Update Sep 28

Yesterday (Sep 27) I noticed that Thunderbird displays my IMAP folders. This is the first time since I re-created my hotmail account in Thunderbird that I've seen anything but Inbox folder, so progress.

Today (Sep 28 2017) I have full access to my account again from Thunderbird.

Since I haven't changed anything on my side, Microsoft is obviously working on related issues. Hopefully everyone else also regains access once again.

|
Answer
Answer
My test account and customers appear to be working as well.  Something got fixed...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 22, 2021 Views 6,820 Applies to: