Reconnect Outlook 2016 or Outlook 2013 to Outlook.com - not connecting as Exchange for personal domains

There seems to be a major issue with the new connection process for Outlook 2013/2016. Our family has a number of personal domains setup through a domain hosting company (###########.me.uk and #############.uk) and we have been using this successfully with outlook.com and Outlook 2013/2016 (using Exchange Active Sync) for many years. We use forwarding from the hosting company and a send only account for outbound mail, to ensure that email is to/from these accounts and not "on behalf of...".

When trying to reconnect following the recent announcements, we have setup the autodiscover CNAME record in the DNS for each of the domains, and when connecting from Outlook to setup the account again, it finds the service, prompts for the username/password (showing as MicrosoftAccount\......)  and shows the account being successfully configured, requiring Outlook be restarted.

However, once you restart Outlook it ALWAYS comes up with the error "The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list" and then deletes the created account. The accounts in question are all fine, tested from outlook.com and from the Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile apps.

If you follow the instructions as per other users, and use an outlook.com alias, it comes back with a non-specific email address in Outlook (completely unusable when you have multiple accounts you use) and sending from the alias (or worse, the non-specific address) rather than the personal domain, which is setup as the default send address in outlook.com (and works everywhere else).

I have found a setup using EAS and using the outlook.office365.com server *seems* to be working (not sure how I got there, but think it was from an autodiscover session somehow), but I am not clear if this will also be affected by the potential problems talked about in the original email announcements - although I don't understand how this would be broken without affecting ALL other clients connecting to outlook.com such as the Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile mail, calendar and people apps.

Given that outlook.com itself allows for the personal domain (outside the control of Microsoft) to be used for logon, receiving mail and sending mail - when will the connection from Outlook 2013 and (specifically in our case 2016, as we have Office 365 Home) be fixed so that we can connect with full functionality (i.e. using EWS/Office 365 connection rather than EAS) using these personal email accounts?

I have tried to discuss this with the helpdesk, but did not manage to get anywhere before the link dropped - and did not have the time to start the whole discussion again.

How can we escalate this issue as it appears to need a fix on the outlook.com side, and maybe on the Outlook 2013/2016 side as well, to mean than relatively non-technical people can get reconnected without these sorts of issues. Although it may be a relatively small % of outlook.com users, I am pretty sure that this will still be a very large actual number of users, so this is not a small trivial issue, but one which could be a blocker to the use of outlook.com by a large number of people (and small businesses and organisations).

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2019 Views 1,861 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am just running now into the same problem.

So far experimenting with local hosts file directing autodiscover.<mydomain> to one of the autodiscover.outlook.com IP addresses.

No success, but it fails in a different way then when I just try to set up the account in the usual way.

I have not yet put the CNAME into my hosted domain DNS, I am hoping not to have to mess with that, but I will go there next.

Why does this suddenly have to be complicated so much? This setup worked fine for years, now this. Ugghh.

M.

No luck with the autodiscover CNAME either, same result that you get:

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problems.

I've been using an Activesync connection via eas.outlook.com since the Hotmail connector stopped working in the summer. I'm using Outlook 2016.

As of yesterday, Microsoft have restricted Activesync connections from Outlook (PC app).

I've had a hour long support call today,  which has now been elevated, they couldn't find a solution to sync Outlook 2016 to Outlook.com whilst I have a personal alias.

All other methods of accessing Outlook.com work ok (mobile, Outlook app or Windows 10 Mail app)

Microsoft know of the problems, they're Known Issues on their reconnect instruction page, so stopping the Activesync solution prior to fixing this issue is unacceptable. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft no longer support s active sync.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

No longer supports Active Sync from Outlook! Supports it just fine from Android and possibly other email clients.

Strange move since they still have bugs with supporting all Outlook.com features (such as email aliases) in the Exchange protocol.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with my personal email address (that has previously worked fine with Hotmail/Outlook.com) for many many years.

According to MS Support they are disabling activesync support. Outlook is the first application affected, the rest will stop working by the end of the month. I've talked to them several times. It's currently still working in my phone but that will also stop syncing soon.

Several friends and family members are using this setup.

I think this is a REALLY bad move by MS. I won't go back to using POP/IMAP because that cannot sync calendar or contacts. And changing my MS account to a @outlook.com suffix doesn't work either.

And I can't fix a autodiscover DNS entry because it's a shared domain, I don't own it (same if you're using a @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @telia.com address etc for your MS account).

They claim it's an upgrade but they are really taking away features from Outlook.com that has been there for 10+ years. So more like a downgrade...

Unless they fix this I'll be forced to switch back to Gmail :s

Sorry this didn't help.

On a phone use the Outlook app. On a desktop use the Outlook Client or Mail App in Windows 10. All are supported and all work with calendars and contacts.

Sorry this didn't help.

On my phone I need to use the built-in calendar because it's so much better than the calendar in the Outlook app (integration with lock screen, notifications and system, one button access, week numbers, etc). Same with contacts.

Both Outlook (PC and Mac) and Windows 10 Mail app use the activesync (EAS) protocol which will be disabled. It's already disabled for Outlook - my account stopped syncing this Friday after a email from MS.

Also, they are no longer supporting personal email addresses with Outlook.com. If you use that you'll be forced to switch to IMAP or POP. Or change to a @outlook.com address. All confirmed with MS Support on phone today.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, that turned out what worked for me. For my non-MS domain Microsoft account, created an @outlook.com alias and assigned that to be the primary one. That way everything works for me.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a major retrograde step... does this mean that I have to change all my devices to logon using an outlook.com account, and what about being able to send as using my personal account? My understanding was that the personal email domains were not supported (currently) in outlook.com, not that personal email addresses weren't supported.

If I change my primary account to an outlook.com account....

Do I need to delete the personal email address (alias at it will be at that point) for this to fix the connection problems for Outlook 2016 (and potentially the other clients going forwards, from what has been said) or can this still be left in place?

Can I still a personal email address to send emails?

What happens to my PCs, tablets, Xbox accounts, and Windows Phone?

What happens to any shared contacts, groups, etc. that I belong to with others in e.g. GroupMe, Skype, etc.?

If I can still send email using my personal email address and if my logons from all my devices still can use the old (personal) account, even when it is not the primary account, then this is ok - although a faff.

If any of this is not the case, then the "upgrade" is indeed a downgrade, and they should NOT switch off EAS before these issues are ALL addressed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I use a personal e-mail address (my own domain) in Outlook.com and I am able to access it via Outlook and Gmail Android apps, Outlook iOS app, and Outlook 2016 desktop client.

Sorry this didn't help.