I have several Microsoft accounts and check for e-mail on them using POP3. Starting a week or two ago one of my accounts started returning "unknown user name or bad password" errors. POP3 still works for the other accounts.
- Fetching mail from all of my Microsoft accounts works except for one. For the account that fails the server responds with "unknown user name or bad password" when the password is entered.
- Sign-in on https://login.live.com/ works. I've been copy/pasting the username and password.
- While signed into https://login.live.com/ in I tried disabling and then re-enabling POP3. No joy.
- I changed the password for the account. While I can still sign in using https://login.live.com/ I can't sign in using POP3.
- For one of the accounts that works I disabled POP3 and discovered the server responds with "unknown user name or bad password". Thus we do know for sure what's wrong with the account.
- I'm getting the same results from both pop3.live.com and pop-mail.outlook.com
- I tried each of the nine servers by IP address for pop3.live.com and each of the four servers for pop-mail.outlook.com and get the same results.
- I added an @outlook.com alias for the account. While I can send/receive mail using webmail I still get "unknown user name or bad password" when I try to sign in via POP3. I also added an @outlook.com alias for one of my accounts that works and verified that POP3 works for sign-in using that alias and the password for the account.
- I tested from a machine that's in another part of the country. (This was mainly to test using a different IP address)
While I normally use Outlook I did the debugging above using OpenSSL as it's much quicker to try various things and I can see the exact server response. I've used:
- openssl s_client -connect pop3.live.com:995
- openssl s_client -connect pop-mail.outlook.com:995
- openssl s_client -connect 18.104.22.168:995
- ... (with each of the IP addresses)
Regardless of which server I connect to the server reports "+OK The Microsoft Exchange POP3 service is ready. [T...]" and is waiting for POP3 commands.
USER *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
The server responds with +OK
(The server response is +OK for accounts that work and for the one that does not)
That's not the actual password but is similar in style to the one I'm using for testing It has no special characters or other strange stuff.
The server responds to the PASS command with either:
- -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
- +OK User successfully logged on.
For the accounts that work (and get +OK ...) I can use the STAT or LIST commands.
I'm looking for ideas of other things to try. As far as I know, I had made no changes to the account. I don't use it for e-mail but had been checking it from Outlook as Microsoft occasionally e-mails notifications.