How to set up email account in Outlook (O365)

Just purchased O365 suite in part because I thought I would use Outlook on all my devices (Desktop Windows) and Android to sync email/contacts/calendar like I had it at work.

I have set up Outlook for Android app on my phone and I'm getting email.  And I only can find instructions for adding an account on my desktop.  Both of these seem to only be a one-way sync (uses IMAP or POP not Exchange).

Is there no solution that will allow me to sync between devices?  My internet email provider suggests Exchange as the best option but it appears I cannot chose this.

Help me Obi Wan . . .

Hello MarilynN&Sarah

Just to clarify a couple of things raised in your description

#1 - Outlook does not sync with a device. It sync's data with the <email account> server
#2 - The protocol that can be used to connect to a given email account is governed by the email service provider (ESP) . Unless you have a hosted Exchange account or using Outlook.com for which you can use Exchange when configuring the account, you would be limited to either IMAP or POP3.

A quick overview of the protocols (Exch, IMAP, POP3)

#3 - Exchange - bi-directional sync of all items (i.e. mail, contacts, calendar etc)
#4 - IMAP - a bi-directional sync of all email items (contact/calendar data is lccal only to the device and do not sync with the server)
#5 - POP3 - a one-way one-time download of the <Inbox> folder

So to get back to your question

#6 - Without knowing your ESP, am going to assume that they support IMAP for the email account (any major ESP does). You would configure the account simply by entering the email address/password for the account and Outlook will automatically configure the account using IMAP

#7 - In order to be able to sync your contact/calendar data across all devices, would suggest creating /using free Outlook.com account and maintain your contact/calendar data in this account. Add the account to each of your devices and all will be able to share the data. Just need to configure it the same as your IMAP account - enter the email address/password and Outlook will automatically configure it as an Exchange account.

Your only option would be to get an Exchange account

Office 365 Business Essentials
https://www.microsoft.com/p/office-365-business...
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Karl!

My ESP is Shaw.  They recommend using Exchange but it didn't seem like I had an option.  But yes, they support IMAP.  That's how I set up Outlook for Android.

So, #7 - I did log into Outlook.com (didn't know it was free), it says Outlook.live.com at the top.  But it appeared the only way I could get my email account 'connected' was to connect an account. I did that using IMAP.  But the info says this is a one-way sync.

Maybe I should phone in, I might be doing it right but I'm not sure.  I need to take a break, getting a bit frustrated.

m

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to clarify one other point

There are two ways to go about this

#1 - Add your Shaw account to your Outlook.com account as a "connected account"

Add your other email accounts to Outlook.com
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-yo...

OR

#2 - Simply add the Outlook.com account to Outlook just like you did for the Shaw account so that you have two accounts configured in Outlook.

*** just in case you're not aware, you can add as many email accounts to Outlook (desktop & mobile) as you want. There's no requirement to add connected accounts to your Outlook.com account. Which way you go is one of personal preference.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 954 Applies to: