Error code 0x8500201c trying to access email through Windows 10 mail app

Every time I try to access one of my outlook.com email addresses I get error code 0x8500201c.

It tells me to look this up online but I've not been able to easily find anything about it online nor on here with a search.

I'm able to access it (albeit slowly) using the Windows 10 mobile mail app, and as normal using outlook.com itself.

The Windows 10 app will add the account, but then just throws up a message saying "Something went wrong. We can't sync at the moment". Which doesn't really help.

Any advice/help please?

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2019 Views 4,456 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Alright, then let me ask you this: Do you have any folders aside from Inbox, Junk Email, Drafts, Sent Items, and Deleted Items?

The cHAT folder was the problem for me. As I said in my response, it might not be the same issue that everyone else has, but the long version that I wrote should at least get you on track to find a fix.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried all of the above several times to no avail. The problem is with the email account with which I signed up for microsoft.com. I will not be using this email account much longer since someone out there sold it and now I get more spam than anything else. I am changing to a new email address at outlook.com. Obviously, Mail will not allow me to delete this account since it is the one used initially when I first downloaded Windows 10. It refuses to sync on this particular computer but does fine on my desktop and on another laptop.

Sorry this didn't help.

i used the translator. 

deleted everything

worked. 

I also checked in the setting sections. there was somehow the option of apps allowed/pop forwarding was disabled for some reason. 

error doesnt come up. 

I also deleted a folder called "cHat" i dont recall ever setting up that folder. but what the heck. 

this works/ 

Sorry this didn't help.

UWbadgers16,

Thanks for the help!!  I have a Lumia 950 smartphone running Windows 10 and could no longer sync my Hotmail account using the Outlook app as of last Wednesday when Outlook was upgraded to a new version overnight.  I could however sync my work email (Exchange Online) and gmail accounts.  I tried deleting and re-adding my Hotmail account but that didn't solve the problem either.  I finally contacted MSFT support over the weekend and spoke with 2 different groups, neither of which solved the problem.  In fact, a tech from B2X.com, MSFT's outsourced support desk, told me to reset my phone to factory default in order to correct it; I did that and the problem was not solved - so I wasted about 2 hours for nothing.  What's interesting is that I even gave him the error code...

In the end your solution solved the problem: it turns out that by forcing a delete on everything in the Deleted Items folder, the sync problem went away.  I had 3 folders in Deleted Items that were not being deleted automatically, so I had to select them and press Delete.  For whatever reason it appears that those folders were preventing a sync from finishing successfully.

Sorry this didn't help.

--------------------------------------
Error code 0x8500201c Windows 10 mobile
--------------------------------------
I posted an answer here: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/opeople-oother/error-code-0x8500201c-windows-10-mobil/ddfe5537-6da2-4a44-b0ed-807b3b486e21

Regards,
Q

Sorry this didn't help.