Can't Reset My Daughters Password

Hello

First I have to vent as a parent. The way that Microsoft has their password reset for accounts is by far the biggest **** show I've ever seen. No wonder older people using computers get frustrated. 

I setup an email account for my daughter who is 10 years old so I could buy her Minecraft and Roblox. Simple you would think but no not at all. I ended up getting her a new laptop and thought hey this will be an easy process, NOPE. None of us can remember the password we used and what we thought it was is not working. So I proceed to do a password reset, nothing works and fails for me to reset because A - the email account has never sent any emails and B - now the account is locked for 24 hours which I've waited the 24 hours and still saying locked out. 

Can't call Microsoft because again that would be to easy so here I am just trying to do a simple password reset so my daughter can play Minecraft. 

Why can't this be easy to get help??????

Answer
Answer
Hello Wyatt_T

First let me state right up front that you are not going to be any happier with this answer as you are with the password reset process. Unfortunately, it's the only answer that applies for your given situation so please don't shoot the messenger.

There is only one way to recover an account and that's by using the Microsoft Account Recovery form and if that process fails, the account is lost.

This is described in the following article under the section

<What if you can’t prove you own the account?>

Reset or recover your Microsoft account
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17875/...

*** the most important item to take note of is the first paragraph
--------------------------------------------------------------
To protect privacy, support advocates can’t see your account details or unlock accounts. Only you can recover your account. If you are not able to successfully recover your account, the alternatives are to:

1) Try to regain access to one of the alternate email accounts or phone numbers associated with your account and then complete the password reset flow.

- If you can’t access your alternate email, then try to recover that first on the email provider’s site (example: Gmail or Yahoo mail).

- If someone else can access the phone number associated with the account, please reach out to them so they can give you the security code.

2) Create a new account
---------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This is a user-to-user support forum. We're users just like you helping other users. We don't work for Microsoft and have no input to Microsoft policies and procedures. There is nothing we can do for a given account since no one in the forum has access to any user account. Can only provide the information applicable to the question/issue posed.
Karl

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2023 Views 40 Applies to: